AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church, the only witness of reality, must write the history in order to build a new society
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - "Reconciliation means creating a new society" was the main concept expressed by Cardinal Ruben Salazar Gomez, Archbishop of Bogota, in his speech on the theme "The Church for reconciliation and peace " during the Sixth National Congress of Reconciliation, held in Bogotá from 30 September to 2 October. The note sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference reports the Cardinal’s words: "a genuine process of reconciliation and peace is not simply to restore what has been damaged, because it is not possible to restore, but rather it is about creating a new society .
The Archbishop of Bogota then outlined 4 principles for reconciliation and peace: truth as the basis of all relationships, especially after a long and destructive conflict. To restore a sense of human dignity and human rights, as a fundamental principle of truth. To restore the true sense of justice and solidarity. To interpret reality through the rich doctrine that the Church offers .
The Cardinal observed that in many regions of the country, the Church gathers numerous testimonies from the victims, therefore it is the only witness of reality, so this is why it is called "to write the history of what happens in order to contribute to building a society based on truth, because only then we can build a new society".
Colombia is experiencing in all its territory a series of initiatives to promote peace, including the Pilgrimage for Peace (see Fides 14/09/2013 ); the celebration of the "Month for Peace" (see Fides 17/09/2013 ); the celebration of the "Week of Peace" (see Fides 11/09/2013) and many others, despite a wave of violence has invested several areas (as evidenced by the killing of the two priests of Cartago, see Fides 28/09/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/10/2013)
- 2014-11-21 - The request to continue peace talks: "Do not destroy the hope of Colombians"
- 2014-11-20 - Archbishop Monsalve Mejia: "The general kidnapped will soon be released"
- 2014-11-19 - Every hour two children are victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-11-18 - The Church condemns the abduction of the General and urges to continue peace talks
- 2014-11-17 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Peace talks have been suspended after general abducted
- 2014-11-13 - From victims of violence to the protagonists of peace
- 2014-11-12 - At least 19 countries around the world recruit child soldiers
- 2014-11-06 - "Cali is suffering a pandemic of violence", denounces Mgr. Monsalve Mejía
- 2014-10-29 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – There is a risk of an outbreak of Chikungunya and Dengue: 4,500 cases in the last two months
- 2014-10-29 - The Colombian dioceses ask to defend the rights of the indigenous peoples of the Pacific