AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church, the only witness of reality, must write the history in order to build a new society
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - "Reconciliation means creating a new society" was the main concept expressed by Cardinal Ruben Salazar Gomez, Archbishop of Bogota, in his speech on the theme "The Church for reconciliation and peace " during the Sixth National Congress of Reconciliation, held in Bogotá from 30 September to 2 October. The note sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference reports the Cardinal’s words: "a genuine process of reconciliation and peace is not simply to restore what has been damaged, because it is not possible to restore, but rather it is about creating a new society .
The Archbishop of Bogota then outlined 4 principles for reconciliation and peace: truth as the basis of all relationships, especially after a long and destructive conflict. To restore a sense of human dignity and human rights, as a fundamental principle of truth. To restore the true sense of justice and solidarity. To interpret reality through the rich doctrine that the Church offers .
The Cardinal observed that in many regions of the country, the Church gathers numerous testimonies from the victims, therefore it is the only witness of reality, so this is why it is called "to write the history of what happens in order to contribute to building a society based on truth, because only then we can build a new society".
Colombia is experiencing in all its territory a series of initiatives to promote peace, including the Pilgrimage for Peace (see Fides 14/09/2013 ); the celebration of the "Month for Peace" (see Fides 17/09/2013 ); the celebration of the "Week of Peace" (see Fides 11/09/2013) and many others, despite a wave of violence has invested several areas (as evidenced by the killing of the two priests of Cartago, see Fides 28/09/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/10/2013)
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
- 2014-07-03 - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country
- 2014-06-28 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – IDPs are increasing: the Church appeals to the authorities to resolve the crisis
- 2014-06-27 - The Church with regards to peace talks: Consider the pain of the victims
- 2014-06-20 - "The Church has helped me to find a land": in Colombia 5.5 million internally displaced persons
- 2014-06-14 - off in Colombia, the Church calls for dialogue and mutual respect