AFRICA/KENYA – Interreligious prayer for the victims of the attack at the Westgate Mall
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - Religious leaders from Kenya have unanimously condemned the terrorist attack at the Westgate Mall in Nairobi.
As reported by CISA Agency, a special interreligious prayer service was held on October 1st at the Kenyatta International Conference Centre (KICC) in Nairobi, which was attended by the main Christian and Muslim religious leaders. They all expressed the desire to work for peace and national reconciliation, and commemorated the victims of the terrorist attack.
The Auxiliary Bishop of Nairobi, David Kamau, who was representing Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of the Kenyan capital, stressed that despite the bad moments, Kenyans are still full of hope and would come out strong against the terrorists.
Adan Wachu, Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Kenya Muslims, said that the attackers who killed and maimed innocent civilians at the Westgate mall under the guise of Islam must be condemned with the strongest terms possible". There is nowhere in the holy Koran or Bible that says or gives anyone the authority to take away innocent lives", he said.
The Secretary-General of the National Council of Churches of Kenya (NCC) finally stated that the unity and diversity of the nation must be capitalized on and terrorists should never injure the peaceful co-existence of Kenyans. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/10/2013 )
AFRICA/KENYA – INTERRELIGIOUS PRAYER FOR THE VICTIMS OF THE ATTACK AT THE WESTGATE MALL
- 2015-08-17 - AFRICA/KENYA – Concern for reported destructive behaviour in local Catholic schools
- 2015-08-06 - By 2020, 20 Catholic radio stations will be created to cover the entire territory of Kenya
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp
- 2015-06-10 - A shelter for 129 small children with Aids
- 2015-05-30 - Greater awareness is needed for the treatment of cholera and diarrhea
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"