AFRICA/KENYA – Interreligious prayer for the victims of the attack at the Westgate Mall
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - Religious leaders from Kenya have unanimously condemned the terrorist attack at the Westgate Mall in Nairobi.
As reported by CISA Agency, a special interreligious prayer service was held on October 1st at the Kenyatta International Conference Centre (KICC) in Nairobi, which was attended by the main Christian and Muslim religious leaders. They all expressed the desire to work for peace and national reconciliation, and commemorated the victims of the terrorist attack.
The Auxiliary Bishop of Nairobi, David Kamau, who was representing Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of the Kenyan capital, stressed that despite the bad moments, Kenyans are still full of hope and would come out strong against the terrorists.
Adan Wachu, Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Kenya Muslims, said that the attackers who killed and maimed innocent civilians at the Westgate mall under the guise of Islam must be condemned with the strongest terms possible". There is nowhere in the holy Koran or Bible that says or gives anyone the authority to take away innocent lives", he said.
The Secretary-General of the National Council of Churches of Kenya (NCC) finally stated that the unity and diversity of the nation must be capitalized on and terrorists should never injure the peaceful co-existence of Kenyans. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/10/2013 )
- 2013-11-19 AFRICA/KENYA - Polio alert in the Horn of Africa: planned vaccination campaigns for millions of children
- 2013-11-11 AFRICA/KENYA - Agreement for the repatriation of one million Somali refugees
- 2013-11-09 AFRICA/KENYA - The Bishops of Kenya: insecurity, corruption and greed devastate the nation
- 2013-10-24 AFRICA/KENYA - Evangelical leaders in Mombasa: we will not be intimidated by the murder of two pastors"
- 2013-10-02 AFRICA/KENYA – Interreligious prayer for the victims of the attack at the Westgate Mall
- 2013-09-27 AFRICA/KENYA - Controversy over the assault at Westgate
- 2013-09-25 AFRICA/KENYA – End of the siege at the mall in Nairobi. Cardinal Njue visits the wounded
- 2013-09-24 AFRICA/KENYA – Attack in Nairobi: A Bishop invites to pray also via twitter
- 2013-09-23 AFRICA/KENYA - Religious leaders united: "we are convinced beyond doubt that the attempt to sow seeds of discord between Christians and Muslims will fail"
- 2013-09-23 AFRICA/KENYA – A shopping center in Nairobi: still a dozen hostages in the hands of terrorists