AFRICA/KENYA – Interreligious prayer for the victims of the attack at the Westgate Mall
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - Religious leaders from Kenya have unanimously condemned the terrorist attack at the Westgate Mall in Nairobi.
As reported by CISA Agency, a special interreligious prayer service was held on October 1st at the Kenyatta International Conference Centre (KICC) in Nairobi, which was attended by the main Christian and Muslim religious leaders. They all expressed the desire to work for peace and national reconciliation, and commemorated the victims of the terrorist attack.
The Auxiliary Bishop of Nairobi, David Kamau, who was representing Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of the Kenyan capital, stressed that despite the bad moments, Kenyans are still full of hope and would come out strong against the terrorists.
Adan Wachu, Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Kenya Muslims, said that the attackers who killed and maimed innocent civilians at the Westgate mall under the guise of Islam must be condemned with the strongest terms possible". There is nowhere in the holy Koran or Bible that says or gives anyone the authority to take away innocent lives", he said.
The Secretary-General of the National Council of Churches of Kenya (NCC) finally stated that the unity and diversity of the nation must be capitalized on and terrorists should never injure the peaceful co-existence of Kenyans. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/10/2013 )
AFRICA/KENYA – INTERRELIGIOUS PRAYER FOR THE VICTIMS OF THE ATTACK AT THE WESTGATE MALL
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor
- 2015-02-12 - Attorney-General proposes a meeting to review the proposed regulations on religious groups
- 2015-02-06 - "No increase in fees for high schools" says the Church
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights
- 2015-01-14 - Tetanus vaccine: the first tests deny that it can be used for birth control
- 2014-12-30 - Anti-Christian attacks: Christian leaders urge the faithful to forgiveness
- 2014-12-23 - State and Church work together to help the people of Lake Turkana
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk