AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Millions of Americans struggle to live": Bishops urgent request to the government
Washington (Agenzia Fides ) - The Bishops, Presidents of three Commissions of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) have urged Congress to urgently fulfill its fundamental role of government and to respond to the challenges that arise, in the country and abroad. On September 30, in fact the Bishops Mgr. José H. Gomez (Los Angeles, Committee on Migration), Mgr. Stephen E. Blaire (Stockton, California, Committee on Domestic Justice and Human Development) and Mgr. Richard E. Pates (Des Moines, Iowa, Commitee on International Justice and Human Development) presented a letter to the House and Senate citing some urgent issues, including the tremendous unemployment in the country and the millions of people displaced by the conflict in Syria.
According to what was reported in the statement of the Bishops' Conference sent to Fides Agency, "the Catholic Bishops of the United States are ready to work with leaders of both parties for a budget that reduces future unsustainable deficits, protects the poor and most vulnerable, advances the common good and promotes human life and dignity".
The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that the proper role of government is to "make accessible to each what is needed to lead a truly human life", including food, clothing, health, education and culture, recall the Bishops. "In our country today, millions of Americans struggle to meet these basic needs, through no fault of their own, as a result of an economy that continues to fail to create sufficient economic opportunities" is what os written in the statement. "Last year, the poverty rate remained at a 20-year high, over 1 in 5 children lived in poverty, and 49 million Americans were food-insecure". The statement adds that the at the moment there are 23 million Americans unemployed or underemployed. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/10/2013)
- 2015-08-20 - Over 50 thousand Hispanics waiting for the Pope in Washington
- 2015-08-06 - Mgr. Farrell remembers Catholics the duty to welcome foreigners
- 2015-08-05 - Bishops praise Obama's plan to cutt carbon dioxide emissions
- 2015-07-29 - Local Catholic Church applauds order to release detained Central American families
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"
- 2015-05-08 - One hundred immigrants in one day: the flow does not stop, and mostly affects families
- 2015-05-05 - Cardinal Maradiaga visits Central American migrants detained in Dilley
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop of Baltimore: "truth will heal the wounds"