AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Millions of Americans struggle to live": Bishops urgent request to the government
Washington (Agenzia Fides ) - The Bishops, Presidents of three Commissions of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) have urged Congress to urgently fulfill its fundamental role of government and to respond to the challenges that arise, in the country and abroad. On September 30, in fact the Bishops Mgr. José H. Gomez (Los Angeles, Committee on Migration), Mgr. Stephen E. Blaire (Stockton, California, Committee on Domestic Justice and Human Development) and Mgr. Richard E. Pates (Des Moines, Iowa, Commitee on International Justice and Human Development) presented a letter to the House and Senate citing some urgent issues, including the tremendous unemployment in the country and the millions of people displaced by the conflict in Syria.
According to what was reported in the statement of the Bishops' Conference sent to Fides Agency, "the Catholic Bishops of the United States are ready to work with leaders of both parties for a budget that reduces future unsustainable deficits, protects the poor and most vulnerable, advances the common good and promotes human life and dignity".
The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that the proper role of government is to "make accessible to each what is needed to lead a truly human life", including food, clothing, health, education and culture, recall the Bishops. "In our country today, millions of Americans struggle to meet these basic needs, through no fault of their own, as a result of an economy that continues to fail to create sufficient economic opportunities" is what os written in the statement. "Last year, the poverty rate remained at a 20-year high, over 1 in 5 children lived in poverty, and 49 million Americans were food-insecure". The statement adds that the at the moment there are 23 million Americans unemployed or underemployed. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/10/2013)
- 2013-10-16 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water
- 2013-10-14 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Education cannot wait": due to conflicts about 29 million children lack education
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Millions of Americans struggle to live": Bishops urgent request to the government
- 2013-09-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Syria: Bishops’ practical suggestions to young people for non-violent protests
- 2013-09-06 AMERICA/UNITED STATES – The Bishops of Washington State push for the approval of the Immigration Act
- 2013-09-05 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops: "We adhere to the Holy Father’s appeal for a peaceful solution to the conflict in Syria"
- 2013-07-30 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Simply because we are a Catholic Church we are interested in the debate on immigration
- 2013-06-03 AMERICA/COLORADO - Children hospitalized with respiratory crisis for having ingested marijuana
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The suffering of immigrants has to stop!" says Cardinal Dolan
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigrants, Youth and reconstruction of Haiti, the aid priorities of the U.S. bishops