AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Millions of Americans struggle to live": Bishops urgent request to the government
Washington (Agenzia Fides ) - The Bishops, Presidents of three Commissions of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) have urged Congress to urgently fulfill its fundamental role of government and to respond to the challenges that arise, in the country and abroad. On September 30, in fact the Bishops Mgr. José H. Gomez (Los Angeles, Committee on Migration), Mgr. Stephen E. Blaire (Stockton, California, Committee on Domestic Justice and Human Development) and Mgr. Richard E. Pates (Des Moines, Iowa, Commitee on International Justice and Human Development) presented a letter to the House and Senate citing some urgent issues, including the tremendous unemployment in the country and the millions of people displaced by the conflict in Syria.
According to what was reported in the statement of the Bishops' Conference sent to Fides Agency, "the Catholic Bishops of the United States are ready to work with leaders of both parties for a budget that reduces future unsustainable deficits, protects the poor and most vulnerable, advances the common good and promotes human life and dignity".
The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that the proper role of government is to "make accessible to each what is needed to lead a truly human life", including food, clothing, health, education and culture, recall the Bishops. "In our country today, millions of Americans struggle to meet these basic needs, through no fault of their own, as a result of an economy that continues to fail to create sufficient economic opportunities" is what os written in the statement. "Last year, the poverty rate remained at a 20-year high, over 1 in 5 children lived in poverty, and 49 million Americans were food-insecure". The statement adds that the at the moment there are 23 million Americans unemployed or underemployed. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/10/2013)
- 2015-03-30 - Little Sisters of The Poor gather for last Mass in Cleveland
- 2015-03-30 - Submitted a bill to facilitate the immigration of Middle Eastern persecuted Christians
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"
- 2015-03-27 - Delegation of Bishops to visit a detention center for immigrant families
- 2015-03-27 - Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV has passed away
- 2015-03-20 - Bishops of the diocese on the border: enough with violence and more attention towards the youth
- 2015-02-06 - The young engaged with migrants write to the Pope
- 2015-01-07 - Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge and Service
- 2015-01-05 - National Migration Week 2015: "We are one family"
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: not only diplomatic relations with Cuba, but also cooperation in various fields