AMERICA/MEXICO - Even the indigenous population are a "living part" of the country and the Church
Naupan (Agenzia Fides) - Almost protected by the hills of Metztepetl, Tonallan and Citlalan (the moon, the sun and the stars), in the Cathedral of Napuan dedicated to St. Mark (in Nahuatl language "El Tecuán", that is, he who becomes the small tiger), the Bishop of San Cristóbal de las Casas, His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, celebrated a thanksgiving Mass for his 50 years of priesthood, during the V Meeting of Cultura Nahuatl. The workshop, which takes place from 30 September to 3 October, is organized by the Mexican Bishops Conference, with the aim of promoting the biblical and liturgical translations of the Catholic Church.
The note sent to Fides Agency from Mexico stresses what was stated by a representative of the Naupan community: "We must know and respect the myths and rituals of indigenous peoples in order to be able to discover in them the signs of God".
"I come from a state where the majority of the population is indigenous - said the Bishop of San Cristobal de las Casas - and we have come to the state of Puebla for the Nahuatl people, so that they have the importance they deserve, both in society and in the Church, so that they feel a living part of the country". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/10/2013)
- 2015-08-03 - Solidarity Prize: Spanish Bishops in favour of Las Patronas candidature
- 2015-07-27 - Mariachi Zombie: amusing animated television series discredits bad zombie myth
- 2015-07-22 - Truth, justice, forgiveness and reconciliation: the pillars of peace promoted by the Church
- 2015-07-20 - Young Chiapas form an orchestra with pre-Hispanic instruments
- 2015-07-14 - Bishops on the escape of El Chapo, "we are not naive, we must eradicate corruption"
- 2015-07-13 - "Corruption spreads when transparency remains only good intentions": the Catholic voice before the scandals
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend