AMERICA/MEXICO - Even the indigenous population are a "living part" of the country and the Church
Naupan (Agenzia Fides) - Almost protected by the hills of Metztepetl, Tonallan and Citlalan (the moon, the sun and the stars), in the Cathedral of Napuan dedicated to St. Mark (in Nahuatl language "El Tecuán", that is, he who becomes the small tiger), the Bishop of San Cristóbal de las Casas, His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, celebrated a thanksgiving Mass for his 50 years of priesthood, during the V Meeting of Cultura Nahuatl. The workshop, which takes place from 30 September to 3 October, is organized by the Mexican Bishops Conference, with the aim of promoting the biblical and liturgical translations of the Catholic Church.
The note sent to Fides Agency from Mexico stresses what was stated by a representative of the Naupan community: "We must know and respect the myths and rituals of indigenous peoples in order to be able to discover in them the signs of God".
"I come from a state where the majority of the population is indigenous - said the Bishop of San Cristobal de las Casas - and we have come to the state of Puebla for the Nahuatl people, so that they have the importance they deserve, both in society and in the Church, so that they feel a living part of the country". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/10/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement