AMERICA/MEXICO - Even the indigenous population are a "living part" of the country and the Church
Naupan (Agenzia Fides) - Almost protected by the hills of Metztepetl, Tonallan and Citlalan (the moon, the sun and the stars), in the Cathedral of Napuan dedicated to St. Mark (in Nahuatl language "El Tecuán", that is, he who becomes the small tiger), the Bishop of San Cristóbal de las Casas, His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, celebrated a thanksgiving Mass for his 50 years of priesthood, during the V Meeting of Cultura Nahuatl. The workshop, which takes place from 30 September to 3 October, is organized by the Mexican Bishops Conference, with the aim of promoting the biblical and liturgical translations of the Catholic Church.
The note sent to Fides Agency from Mexico stresses what was stated by a representative of the Naupan community: "We must know and respect the myths and rituals of indigenous peoples in order to be able to discover in them the signs of God".
"I come from a state where the majority of the population is indigenous - said the Bishop of San Cristobal de las Casas - and we have come to the state of Puebla for the Nahuatl people, so that they have the importance they deserve, both in society and in the Church, so that they feel a living part of the country". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/10/2013)
- 2015-11-18 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The missing priest's body found, he had been set on fire
- 2015-11-17 - Parish priest in Cook has been missing for days
- 2015-11-16 - The child martyrs of Tlaxcala: martyrs of all Latin America
- 2015-11-12 - Minors not allowed to work in the sugarcane fields
- 2015-11-10 - A battlefield where migrants suffer, are attacked, die
- 2015-11-06 - Mgr. Arizmendi inaugurates a house of the migrant in Tuxtla Gutierrez
- 2015-11-05 - Bishops' appeal for peace: "Dialogue with everyone, even with organized crime"
- 2015-11-03 - For the first time in Mexican history a Pope's encyclical will be presented in the Senate
- 2015-10-27 - “Drugs are drugs even when sold as medicines”: the Catholic stance
- 2015-10-27 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Children in mining areas risk lead poisoning