AMERICA/MEXICO - Even the indigenous population are a "living part" of the country and the Church
Naupan (Agenzia Fides) - Almost protected by the hills of Metztepetl, Tonallan and Citlalan (the moon, the sun and the stars), in the Cathedral of Napuan dedicated to St. Mark (in Nahuatl language "El Tecuán", that is, he who becomes the small tiger), the Bishop of San Cristóbal de las Casas, His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, celebrated a thanksgiving Mass for his 50 years of priesthood, during the V Meeting of Cultura Nahuatl. The workshop, which takes place from 30 September to 3 October, is organized by the Mexican Bishops Conference, with the aim of promoting the biblical and liturgical translations of the Catholic Church.
The note sent to Fides Agency from Mexico stresses what was stated by a representative of the Naupan community: "We must know and respect the myths and rituals of indigenous peoples in order to be able to discover in them the signs of God".
"I come from a state where the majority of the population is indigenous - said the Bishop of San Cristobal de las Casas - and we have come to the state of Puebla for the Nahuatl people, so that they have the importance they deserve, both in society and in the Church, so that they feel a living part of the country". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/10/2013)
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children