AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The LRA guerrillas lay down their arms, but the intervention of Seleka threatens to derail the agreement
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) – The rebels of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), the armed group of Ugandan origin that wreaks havoc in a vast area between South Sudan, north-east of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Central African Republic have started to lay down their arms.
"We are talking about sixty men with their wives and their children", says to Fides Agency Mgr. Juan José Aguirre Munos, Bishop of Bangassou, in south-eastern Central African Republic.
"The LRA rebels have divided themselves into several groups. And one of these groups has decided to lay down their arms", said the Bishop.
"This group met in an area of about thirty kilometers from the city of N'Zako. A humanitarian emergency has been created because the former guerrillas and their families are in need of everything. Two non-governmental organizations have sent their representatives to bring help to these people, but the military Seleka present in N'Zako arrested them on charges that they were not allowed to enter the area", said Mgr. Aguirre.
Seleka is the coalition of rebel movements that took power in Central Africa after having thrown out former President François Bozizé.
"It is a serious matter because in the face of an important first gesture of peace by the LRA rebels, that have laid down their arms and asked to reintegrate into society, the intervention of the military Seleka risks to derail everything" concludes Mgr. Aguirre. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 01/10/2013)
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui