AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "You cannot change the country only with laws, we must first change ourselves": Mgr. Baez on the amendments to the Law 779
Masaya (Agenzia Fides) - Violence against women will disappear from our country only when real values among young people and families are spread: this was emphasized by the Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Managua, His Exc. Mgr. Silvio Baez after having celebrated yesterday, the Mass for the feast of the patron saint of the city of Masaya, St. Jerome. The note sent to Fides Agency reports that during his homily in the church of St. Jerome, the Bishop turned to the community with a reflection on the recent reforms made by legislators during the National Assembly. On Wednesday, September 25 in fact, with 83 votes in favor and 4 against, the organic law on violence against women was modified in order to introduce Article 46, which provides the figure of a mediator even for the slightest offense. This change resulted in the immediate protest of feminist groups who oppose any reform of the law, and sparked a debate at a national level.
The law 779, in force since June 2012, is the "Law against violence on women in Nicaragua".
Initially proposed to stop the violence and the many crimes committed against women, the law has had a negative impact on families, marriage... In fact, the immediate application of sanctions for men accused of acts of violence did not allow mediation between aggressor and victim, and this meant, in a short period of time, a large number of separated or destroyed families.
"Nicaragua will not change because of laws or decrees. Violence against women will not end with a tougher law. We must begin to change from the inside, if we want a better country", said Mgr. Baez. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/10/2013)
- 2013-12-04 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - A hundred years of the ecclesiastical Province: a feast with our eyes on the country’s situation
- 2013-11-23 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "Nicaragua does not need any Constitution reform", the Bishops say
- 2013-11-13 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Year of Faith: "We must all work for conversion"
- 2013-11-12 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The Catholic Church invited to the consultations on the constitutional reform
- 2013-11-07 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Archbishop of Managua’s appeal to prevent dengue
- 2013-10-29 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Closing of the Year of Faith, praying for peace, but churches are empty because of fear
- 2013-10-21 AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Devious persecution against the Church: the complaint of the Bishop of Esteli
- 2013-10-16 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - A city isolated by the miners, Mgr. René Sándigo at work to appease the conflict
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "Weapons are not the tool to claim rights" warns Mgr. Herrera after the violence in rural areas
- 2013-10-08 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Alarming figures on children who are exploited and sexually abused