AMERICA/BRAZIL - Defense of the Constitution, human rights, the environment: national mobilization of the indigenous
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - Next week, from September 30 to October 5, there will be protests of indigenous peoples in at least four Brazilian capitals (Brasilia, San Pablo, Belem and Rio Branco) and in other urban centers. The national indigenous mobilization was procalimed by the Articulación de Pueblos Indígenas (APIB) in defense of the Constitution, the rights of indigenous and traditional peoples and the environment. To support the initiative there are several indigenous organizations, such as the Socio-Environmental Institute (ISA), the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), the Center for Indigenist Work (CTI) and other movements and civil society organizations.
According to information sent to Fides Agency by Adital that stress that the constitutional rights of indigenous and other traditional peoples, as well as their territories are under heavy attack due to powerful economic interests. A legislative offensive through draft laws and amendments to the Constitution is in progress, in contrast with the international agreements signed by Brazil. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2013)
- 2015-07-01 - The indifference of the state in the face of a situation of injustice denounced by the Bishop of Dourados
- 2015-06-25 - More than 20,000 people every week prepare themselves for the feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- 2015-06-23 - Report of CIMI: suicide and infant mortality are decimating the indigenous population
- 2015-06-16 - On the border between Peru and Bolivia, crossroads of migrants
- 2015-06-16 - "No to prejudice, yes to rights and participation": week of Migrants
- 2015-06-10 - From Haiti to Brazil in the hands of human traffickers, with the hope of a better future
- 2015-05-27 - Bishops’ refelection: "Thinking Brazil", social inequalities in Brazil
- 2015-05-22 - More than 630,000 signatures for political Reform and transparent elections
- 2015-05-02 - Bishops' Message for May 1st: "We cannot live with slave labor"
- 2015-04-29 - "They kill to intimidate": another indigenous leader killed, the complaint of CIMI