AMERICA/BRAZIL - Defense of the Constitution, human rights, the environment: national mobilization of the indigenous
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - Next week, from September 30 to October 5, there will be protests of indigenous peoples in at least four Brazilian capitals (Brasilia, San Pablo, Belem and Rio Branco) and in other urban centers. The national indigenous mobilization was procalimed by the Articulación de Pueblos Indígenas (APIB) in defense of the Constitution, the rights of indigenous and traditional peoples and the environment. To support the initiative there are several indigenous organizations, such as the Socio-Environmental Institute (ISA), the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), the Center for Indigenist Work (CTI) and other movements and civil society organizations.
According to information sent to Fides Agency by Adital that stress that the constitutional rights of indigenous and other traditional peoples, as well as their territories are under heavy attack due to powerful economic interests. A legislative offensive through draft laws and amendments to the Constitution is in progress, in contrast with the international agreements signed by Brazil. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2013)
- 2015-05-22 - More than 630,000 signatures for political Reform and transparent elections
- 2015-05-02 - Bishops' Message for May 1st: "We cannot live with slave labor"
- 2015-04-29 - "They kill to intimidate": another indigenous leader killed, the complaint of CIMI
- 2015-04-28 - Theme chosen for Missionary Campaign 2015 in Brazil: "Mission is to serve"
- 2015-04-15 - Report of the Pastoral Commission for Land: Homicides in the rural area increase
- 2015-04-13 - First missionary experience of fifty young men and women religious in the Amazon
- 2015-04-09 - Twelve million people live in favelas: educational projects for children
- 2015-04-01 - The Bishops' of Paranà: "We too suffer with the people ..."
- 2015-03-18 - Report on conflicts over water in Brazil: 42 000 families involved
- 2015-03-05 - A march for Women's Day in Brasilia:"Religions for women's rights"