AMERICA/BRAZIL - Defense of the Constitution, human rights, the environment: national mobilization of the indigenous
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - Next week, from September 30 to October 5, there will be protests of indigenous peoples in at least four Brazilian capitals (Brasilia, San Pablo, Belem and Rio Branco) and in other urban centers. The national indigenous mobilization was procalimed by the Articulación de Pueblos Indígenas (APIB) in defense of the Constitution, the rights of indigenous and traditional peoples and the environment. To support the initiative there are several indigenous organizations, such as the Socio-Environmental Institute (ISA), the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), the Center for Indigenist Work (CTI) and other movements and civil society organizations.
According to information sent to Fides Agency by Adital that stress that the constitutional rights of indigenous and other traditional peoples, as well as their territories are under heavy attack due to powerful economic interests. A legislative offensive through draft laws and amendments to the Constitution is in progress, in contrast with the international agreements signed by Brazil. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2013)
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins
- 2014-07-18 - The first "National Catholic Congress online" for those working in the field of evangelization
- 2014-07-16 - A photo exhibition on the 33 years of fighting for the rights of indigenous peoples arrives in Manaus
- 2014-07-04 - "Immediate answers concerning the issue of immigrants are urgently needed"
- 2014-06-30 - Exploitation of children: from the World Cup to the Winter Olympics 2016
- 2014-06-24 - "Mission to relieve" the missionary campaign against human trafficking in persons
- 2014-06-23 - The tragedy of child prostitution behind the glitz of the World Cup
- 2014-06-17 - Social inclusion and missionary work, the commitment of the Church in Brazil for Haiti continues
- 2014-06-12 - The World Cup begins with a "Red Card to Child Labour"
- 2014-06-11 - "The only goal that matters is the demarcation of our lands", say the indigenous