AMERICA/BRAZIL - Defense of the Constitution, human rights, the environment: national mobilization of the indigenous
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - Next week, from September 30 to October 5, there will be protests of indigenous peoples in at least four Brazilian capitals (Brasilia, San Pablo, Belem and Rio Branco) and in other urban centers. The national indigenous mobilization was procalimed by the Articulación de Pueblos Indígenas (APIB) in defense of the Constitution, the rights of indigenous and traditional peoples and the environment. To support the initiative there are several indigenous organizations, such as the Socio-Environmental Institute (ISA), the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), the Center for Indigenist Work (CTI) and other movements and civil society organizations.
According to information sent to Fides Agency by Adital that stress that the constitutional rights of indigenous and other traditional peoples, as well as their territories are under heavy attack due to powerful economic interests. A legislative offensive through draft laws and amendments to the Constitution is in progress, in contrast with the international agreements signed by Brazil. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2013)
- 2015-03-18 - Report on conflicts over water in Brazil: 42 000 families involved
- 2015-03-05 - A march for Women's Day in Brasilia:"Religions for women's rights"
- 2015-02-25 - Mobilization for political Reform and transparent elections continues
- 2015-02-18 - Fraternity Campaign 2015 starts today, theme "Brotherhood: Church and Society "
- 2015-02-16 - Ten years ago the assassination of Sr Dorothy Stang, a seed which is bearing copious fruit
- 2015-02-06 - Missionary organizations at work in 2015: Permanent formation and suburbs
- 2015-01-28 - Missionaries study "concentration and manipulation of the media"
- 2015-01-12 - Recalling the earthquake in Haiti with the testimony of Zilda Arns
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues