AMERICA/BRAZIL - Defense of the Constitution, human rights, the environment: national mobilization of the indigenous
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - Next week, from September 30 to October 5, there will be protests of indigenous peoples in at least four Brazilian capitals (Brasilia, San Pablo, Belem and Rio Branco) and in other urban centers. The national indigenous mobilization was procalimed by the Articulación de Pueblos Indígenas (APIB) in defense of the Constitution, the rights of indigenous and traditional peoples and the environment. To support the initiative there are several indigenous organizations, such as the Socio-Environmental Institute (ISA), the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), the Center for Indigenist Work (CTI) and other movements and civil society organizations.
According to information sent to Fides Agency by Adital that stress that the constitutional rights of indigenous and other traditional peoples, as well as their territories are under heavy attack due to powerful economic interests. A legislative offensive through draft laws and amendments to the Constitution is in progress, in contrast with the international agreements signed by Brazil. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2013)
- 2014-04-07 - CIMI delivers a document on the suffering of the indigenous peoples of the Amazon to the Pope
- 2014-04-04 - "He taught us that in order for the Gospel to be proclaimed it must be acculturated": Brazil and Spain in celebration for the canonization of "Father Anchieta"
- 2014-04-02 - "For a future in freedom and democracy": Bishops' message after 50 years since the military coup
- 2014-03-26 - The Brazilian Church accompanies the World Cup inviting to combat trafficking
- 2014-03-04 - " Fraternity and human trafficking", a constant struggle against this scourge
- 2014-02-17 - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
- 2014-02-06 - Cardinal Filoni: "The announcement ad gentes is part of the responsibility that all the particular Churches have toward Christ"
- 2014-02-04 - Cardinal Filoni to Brazilian Bishops: The II Vatican Council and the missionary dimension of the Church
- 2014-02-03 - 50 years since the II Vatican Council: missionary commitment, consecrated life, episcopal ministry of Bishops
- 2014-01-23 - Prisons do not re-educate and are in crisis: intervention of the Archbishop of Rio