AFRICA/SUDAN - Dozens killed in clashes in Khartoum during the protests for the rise in fuel prices
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - There are dozens of victims in two days of clashes and protests in Khartoum for the cutting of subsidies on fuel that has almost doubled in price.
According to the official figures there are 29 people who were killed in the clashes between demonstrators and the police while Amnesty International and the African Centre of Studies for Peace and Justice said that at least 50 people, most of whom are young people between 19 and 26 years, died because they were hit by bullets fired by the police. Other sources refer instead of a hundred deaths.
The authorities have made stringent security measures which include, inter alia, the interruption of internet connections for 48 hours in order to prevent the spread of news and images shot during the previous clashes and the organization of new demonstrations through the use of social networks.
The government in Khartoum has accused "infiltrators" among the demonstrators of having provoked the reaction of the police conducting assaults against service stations and buses. The opposition replica instead that these acts were perpetrated by agents of the security services infiltrated in peaceful demonstrations to discredit and thus justify repression. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2013)
- 2015-09-16 - No school for children living in IDP camps in Darfur
- 2015-08-05 - Rain and wind storms are causing severe damage in South Darfur
- 2015-07-07 - The Church organizes schools for South Sudanese refugees in Khartoum
- 2015-06-15 - "Assurance in South Africa: President Bashir will leave", said a spokesman in Khartoum
- 2015-04-28 - Omar Hassan al-Bashir re-elected President with 94% of the votes
- 2015-04-22 - Outbreak of measles in Darfur: cases continue to multiply
- 2015-04-15 - 70 thousand bags of Carcinogenic Sugar distributed in South Darfur
- 2015-04-13 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Elections contested by the opposition begin, while tension increases with South Sudan
- 2015-02-25 - The number of homeless children, 700 000 live on the streets of the capital
- 2015-02-12 - Hunger and diseases for the displaced persons in Darfur: food, medicines and basic necessities are needed