AFRICA/SUDAN - Dozens killed in clashes in Khartoum during the protests for the rise in fuel prices
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - There are dozens of victims in two days of clashes and protests in Khartoum for the cutting of subsidies on fuel that has almost doubled in price.
According to the official figures there are 29 people who were killed in the clashes between demonstrators and the police while Amnesty International and the African Centre of Studies for Peace and Justice said that at least 50 people, most of whom are young people between 19 and 26 years, died because they were hit by bullets fired by the police. Other sources refer instead of a hundred deaths.
The authorities have made stringent security measures which include, inter alia, the interruption of internet connections for 48 hours in order to prevent the spread of news and images shot during the previous clashes and the organization of new demonstrations through the use of social networks.
The government in Khartoum has accused "infiltrators" among the demonstrators of having provoked the reaction of the police conducting assaults against service stations and buses. The opposition replica instead that these acts were perpetrated by agents of the security services infiltrated in peaceful demonstrations to discredit and thus justify repression. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2013)
- 2014-02-01 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Let us not forget the suffering of the peoples of Sudan", says the Church
- 2014-01-10 AFRICA/SUDAN - Anemia, typhoid, diarrhea and cough are the causes for thousands of deaths in South Darfur
- 2013-12-13 AFRICA/SUDAN - 25% less aid to 6 million Sudanese in difficulty
- 2013-12-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - The military hospitals refuse to treat the militiamen
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Armed militiamen attack farmers and take turns raping women farmers in North Darfur
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - 7000 inhabitants in South Darfur do not have drinking water and basic services
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/SUDAN - Air raid on a school in the area of the Nuba Mountains: people killed and wounded
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Training courses for Sudanese teachers in refugee camps in Chad
- 2013-09-27 AFRICA/SUDAN - Dozens killed in clashes in Khartoum during the protests for the rise in fuel prices
- 2013-09-26 AFRICA/SUDAN - Increasing acts of intimidation against the Church