AFRICA/SUDAN - Dozens killed in clashes in Khartoum during the protests for the rise in fuel prices
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - There are dozens of victims in two days of clashes and protests in Khartoum for the cutting of subsidies on fuel that has almost doubled in price.
According to the official figures there are 29 people who were killed in the clashes between demonstrators and the police while Amnesty International and the African Centre of Studies for Peace and Justice said that at least 50 people, most of whom are young people between 19 and 26 years, died because they were hit by bullets fired by the police. Other sources refer instead of a hundred deaths.
The authorities have made stringent security measures which include, inter alia, the interruption of internet connections for 48 hours in order to prevent the spread of news and images shot during the previous clashes and the organization of new demonstrations through the use of social networks.
The government in Khartoum has accused "infiltrators" among the demonstrators of having provoked the reaction of the police conducting assaults against service stations and buses. The opposition replica instead that these acts were perpetrated by agents of the security services infiltrated in peaceful demonstrations to discredit and thus justify repression. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2013)
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – Appeal for embargo on arms entering South Sudan, grave humanitarian crisis impending
- 2014-07-21 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Sudan bans the construction of new churches
- 2014-07-14 - Stop to the building of churches by the authorities in Khartoum
- 2014-07-09 - Torrential rains worsen the living conditions of hundreds of thousands of displaced persons
- 2014-07-02 - Humanitarian crisis and lack of investment in social sectors affect 70% of children
- 2014-06-25 - Over 4,500 homeless children in the capital of South Darfur
- 2014-06-02 - "The condemnation of Mariam Yehya Ibrahim is a direct persecution of Christians " say the Sudanese Christian Churches
- 2014-05-31 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Women in refugee camps beaten and tortured
- 2014-05-26 - Christian Churches condemn the death penalty imposed on a Christian woman accused of apostasy
- 2014-05-21 - Rapes, theft and destruction against the displaced persons in the refugee camp in Zamzam