ASIA/PAKISTAN - After the bombs, atrocities against Christians, organ trafficking concerning victims of Peshawar?
Karachi (Agenzia Fides) - After the bombs in the church of All Saints in Peshawar, the situation remains tense in the Pakistani society: not only tragedy but also horror. The Christians said they were "horrified" by the rumors that link the bombs in Peshawar to the vast problem of organ trafficking: this is what some members of NGOs in civil society in Pakistan told Fides. Some of the "jackals", presumably local paramedics, seem to have taken advantage of the high number of deaths and injuries in order to steal the bodies of victims and exploit them for the illegal organ trade. "If this were true, it would mean that there are criminals who are taking advantage of the suffering of Christian victims in a truly blasphemous and sacrilegious manner", notes Fr. Mario Rodrigues, a priest of Karachi.
"We call for a serious investigation on behalf of the police", he concludes.
Pakistan enacted a law to regulate organ transplants in 2010, to shake off its reputation as a "destination leader" for transplant tourism and to stop the illegal trafficking of human organs. After the approval of the law, the illicit traffic slowed down, but in 2011 many cases of illegal transplants emerged again. Last July, given the data of a "thriving business", the Supreme Court issued directives asking the provincial government to take action and enforce the law.
According to police investigations, 42 medical facilities engaged in illegal organ transplants have been identified in Punjab. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2013)
- 2014-12-22 - Christmas: solidarity with the victims of the massacre in Peshawar
- 2014-12-19 - False accusations of blasphemy towards 11 Christians
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: a minute of silence in Catholic schools, at Christmas prayer for peace
- 2014-12-17 - Civil society: "The Taliban and Pakistan are incompatible"
- 2014-12-17 - "Justice and Peace" Commission: after the massacre in Peshawar it is urgent to "rediscover unity"
- 2014-12-16 - Land grabbing, instrument of oppression against Christians
- 2014-12-09 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – A Christian woman beaten and humiliated: justice moves
- 2014-12-05 - Missio Christmas Campaign for Asia Bibi
- 2014-12-04 - Archbishop Coutts: “Advent in the spirit of love of neighbour”
- 2014-11-29 - Pakistani Christians in Italy: motion for religious freedom