ASIA/SYRIA – Greek-Catholic Archbishop of Aleppo: here are the figures of the Syrian disaster
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - The figures of the Syrian catastrophe do not stop the devastating number of people who die and are wounded. In a note sent to Fides Agency, Archbishop Jean-Clément Jeanbart, Metropolitan of Aleppo of the Greek-Catholics, collects other quantitative data that contribute to an understanding of the scale of the disaster. "In recent months, only in Aleppo", says the Archbishop "1400 factories and shops were looted, demolished or burned, while across the Country more than two thousand schools have been devastated or put out of use, 37 hospitals and a thousand small clinics and dispensaries have been vandalized. Most of the grain silos have been emptied, power stations sabotaged, railway lines dismantled and roads blocked and made impassable and dangerous because of armed gangs that terrorize travelers who dare to move and leave town. Faced with these hardships and misfortune in which we have fallen", adds Msg. Jeanbart "we just have to rely on divine mercy, which alone can free us and restore peace in the country. (...). May the Holy Cross of the Lord enlighten those who have the power. We cannot but thank Pope Francis for his repeated appeals and insistent prayer for peace in Syria. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 25/09/2013)
ASIA/SYRIA – GREEK
- 2015-05-28 - Appeal of the Marists of Aleppo to the Pope: if you want Christians to remain, the war must be stopped
- 2015-05-27 - Assyrian hostages: jihadists release two women
- 2015-05-26 - The jihadists retreat from the villages on the river Khabur, leaving destroyed crosses and vandalized churches
- 2015-05-25 - Syrian Catholic Patriarch Ignace Youssif III: prayer and fasting for father Murad and deacon Hanna’s release
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus