AMERICA/PERU - Two thousand victims rescued from human trafficking, 42% are minors
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - More than two thousand victims (42% of whom are minors) of human trafficking have been rescued by the police since June 2011 to date, according to data released by the General Secretariat of the Ministry of Interior of Peru, reported in a press conference held during the celebrations of the International Day against Human Trafficking, on September 23 (see Fides 20/09/2013). According to a note sent to Fides, the high number of child victims of human trafficking aroused deep emotion in the Country.
The Catholic Church continued the Solidarity Campaign "Compartir" ("To Share") 2013 for several months, which was launched as part of the initiative "Saving Lives", which seeks to raise awareness among children and adolescents on how to avoid being a victim of this crime.
This week Holy Father Francis published the Message for the World Day of Migrants and Refugees, which states: "Solidarity, acceptance and signs of fraternity and understanding exist side by side with rejection, discrimination, trafficking and exploitation, suffering and death. Particularly disturbing are those situations where migration is not involuntary, but actually set in motion by various forms of human trafficking and enslavement. Nowadays, "Slave labor" is common coin!" (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/09/2013)
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
- 2014-04-02 - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo
- 2014-03-21 - Bishop of Chimbote obligated to special security measures