AMERICA/PERU - Two thousand victims rescued from human trafficking, 42% are minors
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - More than two thousand victims (42% of whom are minors) of human trafficking have been rescued by the police since June 2011 to date, according to data released by the General Secretariat of the Ministry of Interior of Peru, reported in a press conference held during the celebrations of the International Day against Human Trafficking, on September 23 (see Fides 20/09/2013). According to a note sent to Fides, the high number of child victims of human trafficking aroused deep emotion in the Country.
The Catholic Church continued the Solidarity Campaign "Compartir" ("To Share") 2013 for several months, which was launched as part of the initiative "Saving Lives", which seeks to raise awareness among children and adolescents on how to avoid being a victim of this crime.
This week Holy Father Francis published the Message for the World Day of Migrants and Refugees, which states: "Solidarity, acceptance and signs of fraternity and understanding exist side by side with rejection, discrimination, trafficking and exploitation, suffering and death. Particularly disturbing are those situations where migration is not involuntary, but actually set in motion by various forms of human trafficking and enslavement. Nowadays, "Slave labor" is common coin!" (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/09/2013)
- 2014-11-15 - "Network for a Culture of meeting", also Cusco present at the XIII Meeting of RIIAL
- 2014-11-05 - The Bishops are always close to the 3 and a half million Peruvians away from home
- 2014-10-31 - Thousands of young people on pilgrimage instead of the "Feast of Hallowen"
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth
- 2014-09-23 - "Gold fever" increases human trafficking and sexual exploitation
- 2014-09-19 - The activist who fought for the Amazonian forest, against the deforestation of his land killed
- 2014-09-10 - “Young people without frontiers”: witnesses and proclaimers of the faith to the world of today
- 2014-09-05 - Elections: Bishops concerned about serious signs of corruption and distrust in politics
- 2014-08-18 - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life