AMERICA/PERU - Two thousand victims rescued from human trafficking, 42% are minors
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - More than two thousand victims (42% of whom are minors) of human trafficking have been rescued by the police since June 2011 to date, according to data released by the General Secretariat of the Ministry of Interior of Peru, reported in a press conference held during the celebrations of the International Day against Human Trafficking, on September 23 (see Fides 20/09/2013). According to a note sent to Fides, the high number of child victims of human trafficking aroused deep emotion in the Country.
The Catholic Church continued the Solidarity Campaign "Compartir" ("To Share") 2013 for several months, which was launched as part of the initiative "Saving Lives", which seeks to raise awareness among children and adolescents on how to avoid being a victim of this crime.
This week Holy Father Francis published the Message for the World Day of Migrants and Refugees, which states: "Solidarity, acceptance and signs of fraternity and understanding exist side by side with rejection, discrimination, trafficking and exploitation, suffering and death. Particularly disturbing are those situations where migration is not involuntary, but actually set in motion by various forms of human trafficking and enslavement. Nowadays, "Slave labor" is common coin!" (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/09/2013)
- 2013-11-07 AMERICA/PERU - Exclusion and discrimination, but also struggle and resistance for indigenous women around the world
- 2013-10-28 AMERICA/PERU - 5,000 malnourished children in the province of Santa
- 2013-10-25 AMERICA/PERU - In one year children working and living on the streets have increased by 200%
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/PERU - Also the indigenous children Kukama took part in the "TINKUY 2013"
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/PERU - "I am not afraid of prisoners, but of those who are out on the loose and should be inside": the Bishop of Chimbote against violence
- 2013-10-14 AMERICA/PERU - Peruvian Migrants' Day, October - month of the Lord of Miracles
- 2013-10-09 AMERICA/PERU - The prisoners march for peace in Chimbote, the Bishop is present
- 2013-10-04 AMERICA/PERU - "Share your faith ... and also your bread": missionary month in the sign of the Year of Faith
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/PERU - Children and women exploited in sweatshops in the Amazon
- 2013-09-25 AMERICA/PERU - Two thousand victims rescued from human trafficking, 42% are minors