AFRICA/KENYA – Attack in Nairobi: A Bishop invites to pray also via twitter
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) – The Catholic bishops of Kenya condemn the Westgate terrorist attack in Nairobi and pray for the victims in a statement signed by Bishop Philip Anyolo, Bishop of Homabay and Vice President of Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops (KCCB).
"As a nation we share in the trauma of our brothers and sisters who have lost their loved ones during the Westgate attack. We are in solidarity with our brothers and sisters who have been injured in this terrible tragedy and pray that the Almighty God grants them a speedy recovery", says the document.
The Church also commended Kenyans for their solidarity through blood donations to the victims of the attack.
Even Bishop Anthony Muheria, Bishop of Kitui, in a statement reported by CISA Agency in Nairobi, condemns the attack underlining the brutal and unpredictable aspects: "We never anticipated something so merciless and cold blooded to unfold in our nation".
Bishop Muheria humbly invited the faithful of all religions to make a vigil prayer for their hostages. A prayer to be extended also through the exchange of tweets and SMS in a spirit of national and inter-confessional solidarity. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/09/2013)
AFRICA/KENYA – ATTACK IN NAIROBI: A BISHOP INVITES TO PRAY ALSO VIA TWITTER
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp
- 2015-06-10 - A shelter for 129 small children with Aids
- 2015-05-30 - Greater awareness is needed for the treatment of cholera and diarrhea
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"