AFRICA/KENYA – Attack in Nairobi: A Bishop invites to pray also via twitter
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) – The Catholic bishops of Kenya condemn the Westgate terrorist attack in Nairobi and pray for the victims in a statement signed by Bishop Philip Anyolo, Bishop of Homabay and Vice President of Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops (KCCB).
"As a nation we share in the trauma of our brothers and sisters who have lost their loved ones during the Westgate attack. We are in solidarity with our brothers and sisters who have been injured in this terrible tragedy and pray that the Almighty God grants them a speedy recovery", says the document.
The Church also commended Kenyans for their solidarity through blood donations to the victims of the attack.
Even Bishop Anthony Muheria, Bishop of Kitui, in a statement reported by CISA Agency in Nairobi, condemns the attack underlining the brutal and unpredictable aspects: "We never anticipated something so merciless and cold blooded to unfold in our nation".
Bishop Muheria humbly invited the faithful of all religions to make a vigil prayer for their hostages. A prayer to be extended also through the exchange of tweets and SMS in a spirit of national and inter-confessional solidarity. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/09/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - "Ensure a safe country for us and future generations with respect for human rights", asks Cardinal Njue
- 2014-03-27 - Christian and Muslim religious leaders condemn the attack on the Evangelical Church
- 2014-03-24 - "The fundamentalists that strike Christians also threaten the local Imam", said the apostolic administrator of Mombasa
- 2014-01-07 - Food, clothing, shelter, water: emergency for Sudanese refugees
- 2013-11-19 - Polio alert in the Horn of Africa: planned vaccination campaigns for millions of children
- 2013-11-11 - Agreement for the repatriation of one million Somali refugees
- 2013-11-09 - The Bishops of Kenya: insecurity, corruption and greed devastate the nation
- 2013-10-24 - Evangelical leaders in Mombasa: we will not be intimidated by the murder of two pastors"
- 2013-10-02 - AFRICA/KENYA – Interreligious prayer for the victims of the attack at the Westgate Mall
- 2013-09-27 - Controversy over the assault at Westgate