ASIA/THAILAND - A quarter of the Country's provinces are flooded: flood alert
Bangkok (Agenzia Fides) – Since July, over 600,000 Thais have been affected by severe floods and more than a quarter of the provinces have been flooded. Local authorities have launched an alert for landslides and initiated security measures for the evacuation of the population. The monsoon season is stronger than normal and has so far hit 21 provinces. Some areas of the province of Ayutthaya, north of the capital, Bangkok, have been submerged up to one meter of water. In the village of Ayutthaya, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, during the heavy floods in 2011 many ancient temples were destroyed and damaged.
This year several factories in Ayutthaya and other provinces in the plains in the north of Bangkok have suffered flooding. At least 10 provinces in the central plains of the Country have been flooded, the main producing areas of rice in Thailand, but we still do not know the extent of the damage. In view of further rains, municipal authorities, as preventative measures have provided for the disposal of sandbags around shops and homes in addition of having installed additional water pumps in many areas. In the province of Prachin Buri, 135 kilometers east of Bangkok, more than 700 inmates of a prison were evacuated, due to the flooding of the cells, and transferred to other neighboring institutes. The inhabitants of the lower areas have been told to move to the highlands. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/09/2013)
- 2014-12-10 - "Houses of Hope" for abandoned children
- 2014-09-30 - The armed conflicts, which so far have caused 6000 deaths, also involve minors
- 2014-07-01 - Half a century at the service of the Church and of society, and religious institutes look to the future
- 2014-05-23 - After the coup, Bishops and religious leaders become mediators between the warring parties
- 2014-05-20 - Martial law declared: for the Church it is urgent "to open a channel between the parties"
- 2014-01-13 - Tensions and protests in Bangkok, the Church: "May the outcome be peaceful"
- 2013-12-10 - New elections on February 2, but "the situation changes day by day", says the Director of the PMS
- 2013-11-15 - Children used in boxing combat: a new form of child slavery
- 2013-09-24 - A quarter of the Country's provinces are flooded: flood alert
- 2013-02-20 - The next Pope and the hopes of Asia