AFRICA/DR CONGO - First day of school for 3500 pupils in Goma
Goma (Agenzia Fides) - The ongoing conflicts in North Kivu have delayed the opening of the school year in Goma. Recently, however, activities of the Don Bosco Centre in Goma-Ngangi have started, as reported in a statement sent to Fides Agency by ANS. The school yard is full of children, unfortunately there is not enough room for everyone, this year only 3500 pupils will be able to study. The center reopens at full speed. The girls learn how to sew, to cut hair, to cook. The activities resume in an atmosphere of forgotten war. Now these are days of silence due to the ongoing negotiations in the region. The refugees in North Kivu are over 1 million. We are talking about many people who do not live a normal life, many children are forced for years to stop school due to twenty years of forgotten war in this forgotten place. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/09/2013)
- 2014-12-22 - North Kivu: the conclusions of the meeting of the "wise men" to end the war in the Territory of Beni
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue
- 2014-12-05 - More than 88,000 persons displaced by guerrilla violence; no words describe the tragedy and horror
- 2014-11-26 - The massacres in Beni: carried out by a criminal network made up of guerrillas and corrupt military
- 2014-11-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops: "Violence against women is a crime against humanity"
- 2014-11-24 - Another massacre in North Kivu: 200 people were killed in the area in October
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls