AFRICA/DR CONGO - First day of school for 3500 pupils in Goma
Goma (Agenzia Fides) - The ongoing conflicts in North Kivu have delayed the opening of the school year in Goma. Recently, however, activities of the Don Bosco Centre in Goma-Ngangi have started, as reported in a statement sent to Fides Agency by ANS. The school yard is full of children, unfortunately there is not enough room for everyone, this year only 3500 pupils will be able to study. The center reopens at full speed. The girls learn how to sew, to cut hair, to cook. The activities resume in an atmosphere of forgotten war. Now these are days of silence due to the ongoing negotiations in the region. The refugees in North Kivu are over 1 million. We are talking about many people who do not live a normal life, many children are forced for years to stop school due to twenty years of forgotten war in this forgotten place. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/09/2013)
- 2015-07-31 - “Yes to dialogue, but with respect for the law”, local Catholic Church on political dialogue
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue
- 2015-06-09 - After the Bishops also civil society denounces the massacres committed by jihadists in Beni, "the world must intervene"
- 2015-06-05 - International ecumenical initiative launched to accompany the 2016 elections
- 2015-06-02 - The Bishops’ request to the President: "A national dialogue in accordance with the Constitution"