AFRICA/DR CONGO - First day of school for 3500 pupils in Goma
Goma (Agenzia Fides) - The ongoing conflicts in North Kivu have delayed the opening of the school year in Goma. Recently, however, activities of the Don Bosco Centre in Goma-Ngangi have started, as reported in a statement sent to Fides Agency by ANS. The school yard is full of children, unfortunately there is not enough room for everyone, this year only 3500 pupils will be able to study. The center reopens at full speed. The girls learn how to sew, to cut hair, to cook. The activities resume in an atmosphere of forgotten war. Now these are days of silence due to the ongoing negotiations in the region. The refugees in North Kivu are over 1 million. We are talking about many people who do not live a normal life, many children are forced for years to stop school due to twenty years of forgotten war in this forgotten place. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/09/2013)
- 2015-11-30 - At least 30 dead in a new attack of jihadists of the ADF in North Kivu
- 2015-11-27 - The Bishops: "Stop shedding the blood of the Congolese"
- 2015-11-19 - Open discussion on the mission in Africa 50 years after the "Ad Gentes" apostolic decree
- 2015-11-16 - The Bishops: "National dialogue must respect the Constitution"
- 2015-11-05 - Civil society: "There are foreign jihadists in our region despite what the UN says"
- 2015-11-04 - Kidnappings: new plague in North Kivu: more than 600 seizures since the beginning of the year
- 2015-10-30 - Lack of funds put the elections at risk
- 2015-10-22 - Catholic Bishops disassociate from choice of presidency candidate for Independent National Election Commission
- 2015-10-21 - Three years after the disappearance of the three Congolese Assumptionists, no word on their fate
- 2015-10-20 - Religious confessions announce the rapid appointment of the new head of the Electoral Commission