AFRICA/DR CONGO - First day of school for 3500 pupils in Goma
Goma (Agenzia Fides) - The ongoing conflicts in North Kivu have delayed the opening of the school year in Goma. Recently, however, activities of the Don Bosco Centre in Goma-Ngangi have started, as reported in a statement sent to Fides Agency by ANS. The school yard is full of children, unfortunately there is not enough room for everyone, this year only 3500 pupils will be able to study. The center reopens at full speed. The girls learn how to sew, to cut hair, to cook. The activities resume in an atmosphere of forgotten war. Now these are days of silence due to the ongoing negotiations in the region. The refugees in North Kivu are over 1 million. We are talking about many people who do not live a normal life, many children are forced for years to stop school due to twenty years of forgotten war in this forgotten place. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/09/2013)
- 2014-07-28 - It is necessary to vaccinate children against measles
- 2014-07-10 - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
- 2014-07-07 - The army and the UN did not intervene to stop the massacre in Mutarule, HRW denounces
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops recall "the sacred duty to protect the nation and preserve peace"
- 2014-06-26 - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft
- 2014-06-25 - "Address the problem of Rwandan Hutu militias once and for all" ask the missionaries
- 2014-06-17 - The Congolese doctor who helps victims of sexual violence:"rape is a weapon of mass destruction"
- 2014-06-13 - Clashes at the border with Rwanda: Civil society calls for the intervention of the international community
- 2014-06-12 - Massacre in South Kivu: it is not land conflict but clash among local politicians
- 2014-06-09 - Appeal for the release of 900 hostages, including three Assumptionist fathers kidnapped in 2012