AFRICA/KENYA – A shopping center in Nairobi: still a dozen hostages in the hands of terrorists
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "There are at least a dozen hostages still in the hands of terrorists" say local sources to Fides Agency from Nairobi, where an armed commando of Somali Shabaab extremists attacked on September 21 the Westgate Mall, killing at least 68 people and injuring about 200.
The terrorists then barricaded themselves in some shops within the mall taking some hostages. The security forces have launched operations to regain control of the entire building and free the people still in the hands of terrorists.
"The authorities are trying to reduce the information that the press receives because the Mall is filled with large TV screens and the terrorist commando is thus able to follow what the television networks broadcast" our sources say.
Fides sources add "the assault is certainly a shocking fact but one must take into account that Nairobi is a city with more than 3 million inhabitants. Only the area of the mall is surrounded by security forces, in the rest of the Kenyan capital things continue normally. In solidarity with the tragedy that the Kenyan nation is experiencing the Saudi embassy canceled the reception for the national holiday that was to be held this evening". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/09/2013)
- 2014-09-05 - “Enough violence in northern Kenya!” cry Catholic Bishops
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – New Rector for St. Matthias Mulumba Major seminary in the diocese of Eldoret
- 2014-09-05 - diocesan Major Seminary in the diocese of Nakuru, appointed.
- 2014-09-04 - AFRICA/KENYA – Rector for St. Thomas Aquinas major seminary in Nairobi appointed
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
- 2014-06-26 - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages