AFRICA/KENYA – A shopping center in Nairobi: still a dozen hostages in the hands of terrorists
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "There are at least a dozen hostages still in the hands of terrorists" say local sources to Fides Agency from Nairobi, where an armed commando of Somali Shabaab extremists attacked on September 21 the Westgate Mall, killing at least 68 people and injuring about 200.
The terrorists then barricaded themselves in some shops within the mall taking some hostages. The security forces have launched operations to regain control of the entire building and free the people still in the hands of terrorists.
"The authorities are trying to reduce the information that the press receives because the Mall is filled with large TV screens and the terrorist commando is thus able to follow what the television networks broadcast" our sources say.
Fides sources add "the assault is certainly a shocking fact but one must take into account that Nairobi is a city with more than 3 million inhabitants. Only the area of the mall is surrounded by security forces, in the rest of the Kenyan capital things continue normally. In solidarity with the tragedy that the Kenyan nation is experiencing the Saudi embassy canceled the reception for the national holiday that was to be held this evening". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/09/2013)
AFRICA/KENYA – A SHOPPING CENTER IN NAIROBI: STILL A DOZEN HOSTAGES IN THE HANDS OF TERRORISTS
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor
- 2015-02-12 - Attorney-General proposes a meeting to review the proposed regulations on religious groups
- 2015-02-06 - "No increase in fees for high schools" says the Church
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights
- 2015-01-14 - Tetanus vaccine: the first tests deny that it can be used for birth control
- 2014-12-30 - Anti-Christian attacks: Christian leaders urge the faithful to forgiveness
- 2014-12-23 - State and Church work together to help the people of Lake Turkana
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed