AFRICA/KENYA – A shopping center in Nairobi: still a dozen hostages in the hands of terrorists
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "There are at least a dozen hostages still in the hands of terrorists" say local sources to Fides Agency from Nairobi, where an armed commando of Somali Shabaab extremists attacked on September 21 the Westgate Mall, killing at least 68 people and injuring about 200.
The terrorists then barricaded themselves in some shops within the mall taking some hostages. The security forces have launched operations to regain control of the entire building and free the people still in the hands of terrorists.
"The authorities are trying to reduce the information that the press receives because the Mall is filled with large TV screens and the terrorist commando is thus able to follow what the television networks broadcast" our sources say.
Fides sources add "the assault is certainly a shocking fact but one must take into account that Nairobi is a city with more than 3 million inhabitants. Only the area of the mall is surrounded by security forces, in the rest of the Kenyan capital things continue normally. In solidarity with the tragedy that the Kenyan nation is experiencing the Saudi embassy canceled the reception for the national holiday that was to be held this evening". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/09/2013)
AFRICA/KENYA – A SHOPPING CENTER IN NAIROBI: STILL A DOZEN HOSTAGES IN THE HANDS OF TERRORISTS
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor