AFRICA/KENYA – A shopping center in Nairobi: still a dozen hostages in the hands of terrorists
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "There are at least a dozen hostages still in the hands of terrorists" say local sources to Fides Agency from Nairobi, where an armed commando of Somali Shabaab extremists attacked on September 21 the Westgate Mall, killing at least 68 people and injuring about 200.
The terrorists then barricaded themselves in some shops within the mall taking some hostages. The security forces have launched operations to regain control of the entire building and free the people still in the hands of terrorists.
"The authorities are trying to reduce the information that the press receives because the Mall is filled with large TV screens and the terrorist commando is thus able to follow what the television networks broadcast" our sources say.
Fides sources add "the assault is certainly a shocking fact but one must take into account that Nairobi is a city with more than 3 million inhabitants. Only the area of the mall is surrounded by security forces, in the rest of the Kenyan capital things continue normally. In solidarity with the tragedy that the Kenyan nation is experiencing the Saudi embassy canceled the reception for the national holiday that was to be held this evening". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/09/2013)
AFRICA/KENYA – A SHOPPING CENTER IN NAIROBI: STILL A DOZEN HOSTAGES IN THE HANDS OF TERRORISTS
- 2015-11-27 - The greetings of a resident in Kibera to Pope Francis: "I am proud to live in an informal settlement"
- 2015-11-25 - Bishops of Kenya: "everything is ready to welcome Pope Francis"
- 2015-11-24 - AFRICA/KENYA – Nairobi: conference on Land grabbing and just governance organized by African Bishops
- 2015-11-24 - The Bishop of Maralal: "May Pope Francis' message of reconciliation help us to overcome tribal violence"
- 2015-11-21 - AFRICA/KENYA – The children of Holy Childhood will meet the Pope
- 2015-11-09 - The Bishops: "The Pope’s visit invites us to reflect on the values of the nation"
- 2015-11-05 - "Pope Francis' visit is a blessing and an opportunity for Kenyans"
- 2015-11-03 - "Curtain up for the children of the Little Prince": A theater school in the slum in Kibera
- 2015-11-03 - Bishops' new appeal: "Let us join together as a nation on the occasion of Pope Francis' arrival"
- 2015-10-27 - UN programme to combat poverty and marginalisation and guarantee respect for the rights of women and children