AFRICA/KENYA – A shopping center in Nairobi: still a dozen hostages in the hands of terrorists
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "There are at least a dozen hostages still in the hands of terrorists" say local sources to Fides Agency from Nairobi, where an armed commando of Somali Shabaab extremists attacked on September 21 the Westgate Mall, killing at least 68 people and injuring about 200.
The terrorists then barricaded themselves in some shops within the mall taking some hostages. The security forces have launched operations to regain control of the entire building and free the people still in the hands of terrorists.
"The authorities are trying to reduce the information that the press receives because the Mall is filled with large TV screens and the terrorist commando is thus able to follow what the television networks broadcast" our sources say.
Fides sources add "the assault is certainly a shocking fact but one must take into account that Nairobi is a city with more than 3 million inhabitants. Only the area of the mall is surrounded by security forces, in the rest of the Kenyan capital things continue normally. In solidarity with the tragedy that the Kenyan nation is experiencing the Saudi embassy canceled the reception for the national holiday that was to be held this evening". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/09/2013)
AFRICA/KENYA – A SHOPPING CENTER IN NAIROBI: STILL A DOZEN HOSTAGES IN THE HANDS OF TERRORISTS
- 2015-09-04 - The Bishops of Kenya officially announce Pope Francis' visit
- 2015-09-03 - Bishop of Meru: "Fight for a culture that promotes family and life"
- 2015-08-17 - AFRICA/KENYA – Concern for reported destructive behaviour in local Catholic schools
- 2015-08-06 - By 2020, 20 Catholic radio stations will be created to cover the entire territory of Kenya
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp
- 2015-06-10 - A shelter for 129 small children with Aids