ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Measles and other diseases infect children in centers for displaced people in Zamboanga
Zamboanga (Agenzia Fides) - As fighting continues between government forces and a faction of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF), local health authorities have reported cases of transmission of infectious diseases in children living in centers for displaced people in Zamboanga. In addition to some cases of measles, identified at the Joaquin F. Enriquez Jr. Memorial Sports Complex, doctors have reported infections of the upper respiratory tract, diarrhea and skin diseases. These diseases are due to poor hygiene and a precarious environmental sanitation. Currently, the complex is home to 11,979 families, about 71.265 people. According to estimates by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, at least 20,643 families, about 111.162 people are in 57 evacuation centers. Health authorities are trying to prevent infections by improving hygienic conditions. In addition, the local Ministry of Health, along with other volunteer doctors have opened clinics to monitor the health of displaced persons, administer vaccines to children and in the meantime, the National Association of Dermatologists will send a medical team to assess the skin diseases that are infecting the displaced. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/09/2013)
- 2015-09-30 - Thousands of children risk their lives in the gold mines
- 2015-09-30 - Priest stabbed to death in central Philippines
- 2015-09-26 - An incentive from Pope Francis to fight against human trafficking
- 2015-09-24 - The Church alongside the tribal victims of violence and persecution
- 2015-09-11 - From the crisis of Zamboanga, a hope for Muslim-Christian relations
- 2015-09-08 - Peace is possible in the southern Philippines, with faith
- 2015-08-28 - The Church joins the Pope for the "Day of Creation" which opens the "Season of Creation"
- 2015-08-26 - Caritas launches "phase two" for rehabilitation after typhoon Yolanda
- 2015-07-21 - Bishops' Message: "Climate change, a matter of social justice"
- 2015-06-25 - "Laudati Sì" a source of inspiration for dialogue and for the care of creation