ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Measles and other diseases infect children in centers for displaced people in Zamboanga
Zamboanga (Agenzia Fides) - As fighting continues between government forces and a faction of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF), local health authorities have reported cases of transmission of infectious diseases in children living in centers for displaced people in Zamboanga. In addition to some cases of measles, identified at the Joaquin F. Enriquez Jr. Memorial Sports Complex, doctors have reported infections of the upper respiratory tract, diarrhea and skin diseases. These diseases are due to poor hygiene and a precarious environmental sanitation. Currently, the complex is home to 11,979 families, about 71.265 people. According to estimates by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, at least 20,643 families, about 111.162 people are in 57 evacuation centers. Health authorities are trying to prevent infections by improving hygienic conditions. In addition, the local Ministry of Health, along with other volunteer doctors have opened clinics to monitor the health of displaced persons, administer vaccines to children and in the meantime, the National Association of Dermatologists will send a medical team to assess the skin diseases that are infecting the displaced. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/09/2013)
- 2014-04-08 - The Bishops: "We respect the Supreme Court, we defend life with the right to conscientious objection"
- 2014-04-08 - The Supreme Court: Reproductive Health law is valid, but yes to conscientious objection
- 2014-03-28 - The missionaries: "May the agreement with the rebels of the South bring peace, justice and development"
- 2014-03-25 - Over 7.7 million dollars for aid to victims of the typhoon: The Church guarantees transparency
- 2014-03-21 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – Award to the Islamic movement for dialogue "Silsilah" in Southern Philippines
- 2014-03-04 - Bishops' message for Lent: "Poverty dehumanizes the country"
- 2014-02-20 - The commitment of the Churches for AIDS patients
- 2014-02-07 - Simple boats transformed into mobile clinics to deliver humanitarian and medical aid
- 2014-01-14 - Thousands of children are ready to go back to school to begin a process of recovery towards normality
- 2014-01-14 - The Superior General OMI: "With Msg. Quevedo, let us look at the Church of the poor"