ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Measles and other diseases infect children in centers for displaced people in Zamboanga
Zamboanga (Agenzia Fides) - As fighting continues between government forces and a faction of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF), local health authorities have reported cases of transmission of infectious diseases in children living in centers for displaced people in Zamboanga. In addition to some cases of measles, identified at the Joaquin F. Enriquez Jr. Memorial Sports Complex, doctors have reported infections of the upper respiratory tract, diarrhea and skin diseases. These diseases are due to poor hygiene and a precarious environmental sanitation. Currently, the complex is home to 11,979 families, about 71.265 people. According to estimates by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, at least 20,643 families, about 111.162 people are in 57 evacuation centers. Health authorities are trying to prevent infections by improving hygienic conditions. In addition, the local Ministry of Health, along with other volunteer doctors have opened clinics to monitor the health of displaced persons, administer vaccines to children and in the meantime, the National Association of Dermatologists will send a medical team to assess the skin diseases that are infecting the displaced. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/09/2013)
- 2015-04-24 - Islamic and Christian religious leaders: "Necessity to review the Bangasamoro Basic Law"
- 2015-04-09 - The Church to the President: "It is time to approve land reform"
- 2015-03-31 - Cardinal Tagle: "Way of the Cross on Good Friday in prayer for peace"
- 2015-03-28 - Humanitarian crisis in Mindanao; a law has been submitted in the Philippine congress on the Muslim region
- 2015-02-26 - Military offensive in Mindanao; the Bishop in Basilan: "For peace, sincerity is needed"
- 2015-02-24 - Bishops issue “Oratio imperata” for peace in Mindanao
- 2015-02-20 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – In the Year of the Poor, Lent is a favourable time for solidarity
- 2015-02-19 - Missionary says: “someone wants to destabilise Mindanao”
- 2015-02-18 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – Christian and Muslim religious leaders: “the peace process must not be abandoned”
- 2015-02-09 - No to "total war" in Mindanao, unity against "the ideology of violence"