AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - "The Catholic Church will not sit in the Senate" say the Catholic Bishops
Ouagadougou (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church will not sit in the Senate, according to a statement from the Episcopal Conference of Burkina Faso, rejecting the rule introduced in the law passed in May, which plans to assign a certain number of seats to representatives appointed by the religious leaders.
"True to its nature and its mission - write the Bishops - the Church will not participate in decision-making bodies, executive, legislative or judicial, such as the Senate where it should have a representative".
"Our participation in such a process would lead us to align ourselves regarding this or that position taking away any possibility of exercising our primary role of moral authority to enlighten, promote social cohesion and, if necessary, mediate, at the service of the majority and of opposition" explains the statement.
The creation of the Senate has created strong controversy and protests in the Country because it is feared that it will become a tool used by President Blaise Compaoré to change the Constitution to allow him to run for another term in the 2015 elections.
In July, the Bishops had expressed their opposition to the introduction of the Senate, launching the alarm concerning the risks that social peace in the country run. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2013)
- 2015-11-10 - "Justice and Peace" launches a major project of solidarity across the Country
- 2015-10-05 - "We are all called to work for reconciliation" says Cardinal Ouédraogo after the failed coup
- 2015-10-02 - Leader of the coup surrenders; today a day of prayer for peace in the Country
- 2015-09-28 - Coup leaders retreat: the role of the king of the Mossi in the resolution of the crisis
- 2015-09-23 - An agreement with the coup leaders has been reached; Bishops: "do not destroy the expectations of the people"
- 2015-09-22 - Burkina Faso's army has given coup leaders an ultimatum to surrender
- 2015-09-17 - "A predictable coup since Compaoré's praetorian guard was not dissolved" say Fides sources
- 2015-09-07 - Bishops' message for the 11 October elections: "Politics, the highest form of charity"
- 2015-07-15 - Caritas launches the program of consolidation of democracy in view of the elections in October
- 2015-02-09 - Demonstrations for the dissolution of the presidential guard