AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - "The Catholic Church will not sit in the Senate" say the Catholic Bishops
Ouagadougou (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church will not sit in the Senate, according to a statement from the Episcopal Conference of Burkina Faso, rejecting the rule introduced in the law passed in May, which plans to assign a certain number of seats to representatives appointed by the religious leaders.
"True to its nature and its mission - write the Bishops - the Church will not participate in decision-making bodies, executive, legislative or judicial, such as the Senate where it should have a representative".
"Our participation in such a process would lead us to align ourselves regarding this or that position taking away any possibility of exercising our primary role of moral authority to enlighten, promote social cohesion and, if necessary, mediate, at the service of the majority and of opposition" explains the statement.
The creation of the Senate has created strong controversy and protests in the Country because it is feared that it will become a tool used by President Blaise Compaoré to change the Constitution to allow him to run for another term in the 2015 elections.
In July, the Bishops had expressed their opposition to the introduction of the Senate, launching the alarm concerning the risks that social peace in the country run. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2013)
- 2013-10-28 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - John Paul II foundation for the Sahel: renew oneself for a better service to the poor
- 2013-09-21 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - "The Catholic Church will not sit in the Senate" say the Catholic Bishops
- 2013-07-23 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - The Bishops: "Burkina Faso needs justice, reconciliation and peace"
- 2013-02-20 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - Caritas Sahel Meeting: focus Humanitarian Crisis in Mali
- 2012-12-15 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - Centenary of the Evangelization of Koudougou: an extraordinary opportunity to become more aware of the missionary mandate
- 2012-11-24 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - "There is always the widow's contribution that gives hope": testimony of the Bishop of Tenkodogo
- 2012-10-25 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - A Camillian from Burkina Faso dies at the age of 21, on the 45th day of his first religious profession
- 2012-10-18 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - "It is a great thing to serve others": the testimony of a missionary Camillian doctor from Burkina Faso
- 2012-07-16 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - Famine and insecurity at the base of the exodus of refugees from Mali; the project of the Camillian Task Force
- 2012-07-03 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - The gold rush and its social consequences