ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Cardinal Tagle: "Hopes for a path of dialogue in the crisis of Zamboanga"
Vatican City ( Agenzia Fides) - "We hope in an effort of dialogue and a negotiable solution to the crisis in Zamboanga. As a church we join our voices to the bishops of Mindanao in asking and building peace in the southern Philippines". This was said to Fides news agency by Cardinal Luis Antonio Gokim Tagle, Archbishop of Manila, in a meeting in Rome organized by the magazine "Catholic Civilization".
The Cardinal, expresses his best wishes for the event and vigil for peace in Zamboanga, which will see the participation of the government, church and civil society in Manila (see Fides 18/09/2013), and said he is sorry he cannot participate because still in Italy.
Cardinal Tagle confirmed to Fides: "The situation in Mindanao is complex and delicate. The government has signed an agreement with the MILF (Moro Islamic Liberation Front ) rebel group, but another group, the MNLF ( Moro National Liberation Front), has rebelled and has taken up arms. However, we cannot accept the destruction of property, displacement and suffering of civilians, and all forms of violence. The way to resolve any dispute is dialogue. The church will continue to work for peace, which is the desire of the Filipino people". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2013)
- 2014-04-08 - The Bishops: "We respect the Supreme Court, we defend life with the right to conscientious objection"
- 2014-04-08 - The Supreme Court: Reproductive Health law is valid, but yes to conscientious objection
- 2014-03-28 - The missionaries: "May the agreement with the rebels of the South bring peace, justice and development"
- 2014-03-25 - Over 7.7 million dollars for aid to victims of the typhoon: The Church guarantees transparency
- 2014-03-21 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – Award to the Islamic movement for dialogue "Silsilah" in Southern Philippines
- 2014-03-04 - Bishops' message for Lent: "Poverty dehumanizes the country"
- 2014-02-20 - The commitment of the Churches for AIDS patients
- 2014-02-07 - Simple boats transformed into mobile clinics to deliver humanitarian and medical aid
- 2014-01-14 - Thousands of children are ready to go back to school to begin a process of recovery towards normality
- 2014-01-14 - The Superior General OMI: "With Msg. Quevedo, let us look at the Church of the poor"