ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Cardinal Tagle: "Hopes for a path of dialogue in the crisis of Zamboanga"
Vatican City ( Agenzia Fides) - "We hope in an effort of dialogue and a negotiable solution to the crisis in Zamboanga. As a church we join our voices to the bishops of Mindanao in asking and building peace in the southern Philippines". This was said to Fides news agency by Cardinal Luis Antonio Gokim Tagle, Archbishop of Manila, in a meeting in Rome organized by the magazine "Catholic Civilization".
The Cardinal, expresses his best wishes for the event and vigil for peace in Zamboanga, which will see the participation of the government, church and civil society in Manila (see Fides 18/09/2013), and said he is sorry he cannot participate because still in Italy.
Cardinal Tagle confirmed to Fides: "The situation in Mindanao is complex and delicate. The government has signed an agreement with the MILF (Moro Islamic Liberation Front ) rebel group, but another group, the MNLF ( Moro National Liberation Front), has rebelled and has taken up arms. However, we cannot accept the destruction of property, displacement and suffering of civilians, and all forms of violence. The way to resolve any dispute is dialogue. The church will continue to work for peace, which is the desire of the Filipino people". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2013)
- 2015-04-09 - The Church to the President: "It is time to approve land reform"
- 2015-03-31 - Cardinal Tagle: "Way of the Cross on Good Friday in prayer for peace"
- 2015-03-28 - Humanitarian crisis in Mindanao; a law has been submitted in the Philippine congress on the Muslim region
- 2015-02-26 - Military offensive in Mindanao; the Bishop in Basilan: "For peace, sincerity is needed"
- 2015-02-24 - Bishops issue “Oratio imperata” for peace in Mindanao
- 2015-02-20 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – In the Year of the Poor, Lent is a favourable time for solidarity
- 2015-02-19 - Missionary says: “someone wants to destabilise Mindanao”
- 2015-02-18 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – Christian and Muslim religious leaders: “the peace process must not be abandoned”
- 2015-02-09 - No to "total war" in Mindanao, unity against "the ideology of violence"
- 2015-02-05 - Interfaith harmony, a journey towards peace in the world