ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Cardinal Tagle: "Hopes for a path of dialogue in the crisis of Zamboanga"
Vatican City ( Agenzia Fides) - "We hope in an effort of dialogue and a negotiable solution to the crisis in Zamboanga. As a church we join our voices to the bishops of Mindanao in asking and building peace in the southern Philippines". This was said to Fides news agency by Cardinal Luis Antonio Gokim Tagle, Archbishop of Manila, in a meeting in Rome organized by the magazine "Catholic Civilization".
The Cardinal, expresses his best wishes for the event and vigil for peace in Zamboanga, which will see the participation of the government, church and civil society in Manila (see Fides 18/09/2013), and said he is sorry he cannot participate because still in Italy.
Cardinal Tagle confirmed to Fides: "The situation in Mindanao is complex and delicate. The government has signed an agreement with the MILF (Moro Islamic Liberation Front ) rebel group, but another group, the MNLF ( Moro National Liberation Front), has rebelled and has taken up arms. However, we cannot accept the destruction of property, displacement and suffering of civilians, and all forms of violence. The way to resolve any dispute is dialogue. The church will continue to work for peace, which is the desire of the Filipino people". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2013)
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishops: No to violence in Mindanao, support for the peace process
- 2015-01-20 - Bishops: to put into practice the words of the Pope on the proximity to the poor
- 2015-01-19 - "Year of the poor" and new evangelization: Bishops in assembly after the Pope's visit
- 2015-01-17 - The Pope shows deep compassion for the victims of the Typhoon
- 2015-01-16 - evangelize families: the Pope encourages them to be "living school of the Gospel"
- 2015-01-15 - The Director of the PMS: "The Pope in the Philippines shows us mercy towards the last"
- 2015-01-14 - A missionary, after the bombing in Paris: "Dear Muslim brothers, we mourn with you"
- 2014-12-10 - "Yolanda" survivors now helping "Hagupit" victims
- 2014-12-01 - Compassion but also "no" to corruption: the Church celebrates the Year of the poor
- 2014-11-29 - The Silsilah movement: Advent of solidarity and friendship with Muslims