ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Cardinal Tagle: "Hopes for a path of dialogue in the crisis of Zamboanga"
Vatican City ( Agenzia Fides) - "We hope in an effort of dialogue and a negotiable solution to the crisis in Zamboanga. As a church we join our voices to the bishops of Mindanao in asking and building peace in the southern Philippines". This was said to Fides news agency by Cardinal Luis Antonio Gokim Tagle, Archbishop of Manila, in a meeting in Rome organized by the magazine "Catholic Civilization".
The Cardinal, expresses his best wishes for the event and vigil for peace in Zamboanga, which will see the participation of the government, church and civil society in Manila (see Fides 18/09/2013), and said he is sorry he cannot participate because still in Italy.
Cardinal Tagle confirmed to Fides: "The situation in Mindanao is complex and delicate. The government has signed an agreement with the MILF (Moro Islamic Liberation Front ) rebel group, but another group, the MNLF ( Moro National Liberation Front), has rebelled and has taken up arms. However, we cannot accept the destruction of property, displacement and suffering of civilians, and all forms of violence. The way to resolve any dispute is dialogue. The church will continue to work for peace, which is the desire of the Filipino people". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2013)
- 2014-12-10 - "Yolanda" survivors now helping "Hagupit" victims
- 2014-12-01 - Compassion but also "no" to corruption: the Church celebrates the Year of the poor
- 2014-11-29 - The Silsilah movement: Advent of solidarity and friendship with Muslims
- 2014-11-27 - Justice for the massacre in Maguindanao: the relatives of the victims write to the Pope
- 2014-11-21 - 30 years since its foundation, the commitment of "Silsilah" movement for dialogue reinforces
- 2014-11-15 - Cardinal Tagle: "The Pope's visit, a blessing that invokes responsibility"
- 2014-11-11 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – To cancel foreign debt in order to contribute to the reconstruction after Typhoon Haiyan
- 2014-10-30 - The Silsilah dialogue movement: "Fight soldiers with prayer"
- 2014-10-28 - The Bishops: "Even a life sentence is inhuman"
- 2014-10-17 - The murder of the missionary Fr. Fausto Tentorio remains unsolved