ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Cardinal Tagle: "Hopes for a path of dialogue in the crisis of Zamboanga"
Vatican City ( Agenzia Fides) - "We hope in an effort of dialogue and a negotiable solution to the crisis in Zamboanga. As a church we join our voices to the bishops of Mindanao in asking and building peace in the southern Philippines". This was said to Fides news agency by Cardinal Luis Antonio Gokim Tagle, Archbishop of Manila, in a meeting in Rome organized by the magazine "Catholic Civilization".
The Cardinal, expresses his best wishes for the event and vigil for peace in Zamboanga, which will see the participation of the government, church and civil society in Manila (see Fides 18/09/2013), and said he is sorry he cannot participate because still in Italy.
Cardinal Tagle confirmed to Fides: "The situation in Mindanao is complex and delicate. The government has signed an agreement with the MILF (Moro Islamic Liberation Front ) rebel group, but another group, the MNLF ( Moro National Liberation Front), has rebelled and has taken up arms. However, we cannot accept the destruction of property, displacement and suffering of civilians, and all forms of violence. The way to resolve any dispute is dialogue. The church will continue to work for peace, which is the desire of the Filipino people". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2013)
- 2014-10-17 - The murder of the missionary Fr. Fausto Tentorio remains unsolved
- 2014-10-15 - "The ideology and money of the IS arrive in Southern Philippines": the story of a missionary
- 2014-10-14 - "There is no justice without life": Asian conference against the death penalty
- 2014-10-01 - A Jesuit: "A network of solidarity against the network of terror"
- 2014-09-22 - "Mercy and Compassion" is the theme of the Pope's visit
- 2014-09-12 - Peace agreement arrives in Congress, but "the road is still long"
- 2014-09-06 - Silsilah Dialogue Centre advocates harmony in the Year of the Laity
- 2014-09-02 - National Director of the Pontifical Missionary Societies confirmed
- 2014-07-30 - The entire Catholic population celebrates the 100 millionth baby born in the Country
- 2014-07-21 - The missionaries for the development of indigenous peoples in Mindanao