ASIA/SYRIA - The massacre of 130 Christians in Aleppo is false: no to sectarian conflict
Aleppo ( Agenzia Fides) – The news of a massacre of 130 Christians in Aleppo by Syrian opposition groups, as reported recently by the Lebanese media and some websites is completely false.
This is confirmed to Fides by several authoritative sources in the Syrian city. The Christians of Aleppo live the dramatic situation of the conflict with difficulty and fear, but a massacre of such size is "totally unfounded": this is reported by Church sources and confirmed by the Syrian security forces.
A priest interviewed by Fides notes: "Such news serves to disseminate terror, it especially has the aim to ignite a sectarian war. Such news would also like to encourage Christians to arm themselves, so that the conflict takes on a more confessional and dangerous aspect, close to that of the Lebanon War.
They also seem to pave the way to a fragmentation of the same sectarian-based Syrian territory. This goes against the history, the culture and the real face of the Syrian society, which has always been characterized by pluralism and multiplicity".
Fides sources remind us that "in the so-called Valley of Christians, some villages, at the mercy of armed bandit attacks, in areas outside of combat, accepted a kind of militarization, forming self-defense groups. But this is against the general direction of the Church in Syria: Bishops and Patriarchs have always reiterated and today ask the faithful not to take up arms, not to yield to the logic of conflict and confrontation, but to always be agents of peace and apostles of non-violence, even at the cost of life. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2013)
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"
- 2015-03-18 - Millions of children deprived of education: schools destroyed or used as shelters for the displaced
- 2015-03-16 - The US "open" up to talks with Assad. Archbishop Hindo: forced choice
- 2015-03-14 - The Jubilee seen from Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: only mercy can save us from hatred and heal wounds
- 2015-03-11 - Uncertainty about the fate of Christians held hostage by jihadists
- 2015-03-05 - The Syrian Parliament commemorates the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-03-04 - The "rebels" say no to truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: powers from outside plan our torture