AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops during ordinary assembly also discuss on the judgment of the Court in The Hague
Jinotega (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua have been attending their ordinary general assembly in the city of Jinotega since 18 September. The assembly is held every two months: since last year, in fact , they decided to meet in a different place every time in order to meet people from all the dioceses of the Country. "This time our Bishops are visiting the city of Jinotega, the foggy town - says the note sent to Fides Agency at beginning of the meeting - . During this meeting we will examine the issues of Pastoral care in this ecclesiastical area and will have the opportunity to discuss some issues of national reality. In the meeting, as reported by the Bishops Mgr. Sócrates René Sándigo (President of the Episcopal Conference) and Mgr. Silvio José Báez Ortega, O.C.D. Auxiliary Bishop of Managua, we will also discuss about the judgment of the Court of The Hague and the reaction of the President of Colombia".
The motivation for the latter topic was dictated by the statements of Hs Exc. Mgr. Eulises González Sánchez, Apostolic Vicar of San Andres and Providencia, islands in the Pacific Ocean near Nicaragua but are under the jurisdiction of Colombia.
The Hague International Court in fact ruled in favor of Nicaragua with regards to the ownership of the "waters that go beyond the meridian 82" and that Colombia had taken under its jurisdiction. Although many Colombian authorities, civil and military, expressed themselves in a positive way about the ruling, the President of Colombia publicly said that it is a judgment "that cannot be accepted by Colombia".
Mgr. González Sánchez, in a statement re-launched by the Episcopal Conference of Colombia, has instead called on its people to recognize the judgment of the court in The Hague in favor of Nicaragua, and to be optimistic, to see the immensity of God in the sea and seek good relations with Nicaragua". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/09/2013)
- 2014-09-17 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The Bishops on Law 779: the reform is urgent, the Church is not the auxiliary of the police
- 2014-08-19 - "Assist families but without interfering in their private lives", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
- 2014-07-30 - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops
- 2014-07-22 - The Archdiocese of Managua condemns the criminal act against innocent civilians on Saturday
- 2014-06-04 - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
- 2014-05-22 - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
- 2014-05-20 - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
- 2014-05-14 - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting
- 2014-04-08 - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"
- 2014-03-26 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The government of Ortega ready to dialogue with the Church