AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops during ordinary assembly also discuss on the judgment of the Court in The Hague
Jinotega (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua have been attending their ordinary general assembly in the city of Jinotega since 18 September. The assembly is held every two months: since last year, in fact , they decided to meet in a different place every time in order to meet people from all the dioceses of the Country. "This time our Bishops are visiting the city of Jinotega, the foggy town - says the note sent to Fides Agency at beginning of the meeting - . During this meeting we will examine the issues of Pastoral care in this ecclesiastical area and will have the opportunity to discuss some issues of national reality. In the meeting, as reported by the Bishops Mgr. Sócrates René Sándigo (President of the Episcopal Conference) and Mgr. Silvio José Báez Ortega, O.C.D. Auxiliary Bishop of Managua, we will also discuss about the judgment of the Court of The Hague and the reaction of the President of Colombia".
The motivation for the latter topic was dictated by the statements of Hs Exc. Mgr. Eulises González Sánchez, Apostolic Vicar of San Andres and Providencia, islands in the Pacific Ocean near Nicaragua but are under the jurisdiction of Colombia.
The Hague International Court in fact ruled in favor of Nicaragua with regards to the ownership of the "waters that go beyond the meridian 82" and that Colombia had taken under its jurisdiction. Although many Colombian authorities, civil and military, expressed themselves in a positive way about the ruling, the President of Colombia publicly said that it is a judgment "that cannot be accepted by Colombia".
Mgr. González Sánchez, in a statement re-launched by the Episcopal Conference of Colombia, has instead called on its people to recognize the judgment of the court in The Hague in favor of Nicaragua, and to be optimistic, to see the immensity of God in the sea and seek good relations with Nicaragua". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 20/09/2013)
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved
- 2015-06-15 - Still controversy over the transoceanic canal; Mgr. Baez "more transparency is needed"
- 2015-06-03 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Drought continues: the population without water and crops
- 2015-05-05 - "Informed citizenry is able to build a just society", says Msg. Baez
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness
- 2015-03-06 - "Facts have to be reported": creation of the Human Rights Commission in Pantasma
- 2015-02-13 - Mgr. Mata: "The government must defend human rights"
- 2015-01-20 - Pastoral letter: "Some people are more interested in profit than man himself"