ASIA/SYRIA - "Peace is the supreme good to rebuild Syria": the Syrian people welcomes the Pope's new appeal
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - "To restore hope to the Syrian nation, to rebuild schools, infrastructure, hospitals, to allow the return of refugees, peace is the supreme good. For this reason we welcome with respect and love Pope Francis’ new appeal to commit ourselves to a peaceful solution": with these words, entrusted to Fides Agency, Syrian Archimandrite Mtanios Haddad, Procurator of the Greek-Catholic Patriarch Gregory III Laham at the Holy See, commented the Pope's new appeal. "Let us commit ourselves to encouraging all efforts for a diplomatic and political solution of all the focus points of war that still are a cause for concern", said Pope Francis at the end of the general audience today, September 18. "My thoughts - he added – go especially for the dear people of Syria, whose human tragedy can only be resolved through dialogue and negotiation, with respect for justice and the dignity of every person, especially the weakest and most defenseless".
"After two and a half years of conflict and immense suffering for the Syrian people, it is time to welcome the heartfelt invitation of the Pope", stresses Fr. Haddad. "Faced with the degeneration of the conflict, with the entry of many foreign militants, before the spread of religious fanaticism and many armed groups, we hope that the efforts of the international community go in the direction indicated by the Pope. As Syrian Christians we insist that we never put our trust in war and weapons, and that we continue to promote dialogue, justice and peace". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 18/09/2013)
- 2015-05-28 - Appeal of the Marists of Aleppo to the Pope: if you want Christians to remain, the war must be stopped
- 2015-05-27 - Assyrian hostages: jihadists release two women
- 2015-05-26 - The jihadists retreat from the villages on the river Khabur, leaving destroyed crosses and vandalized churches
- 2015-05-25 - Syrian Catholic Patriarch Ignace Youssif III: prayer and fasting for father Murad and deacon Hanna’s release
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus