ASIA/SYRIA - "Peace is the supreme good to rebuild Syria": the Syrian people welcomes the Pope's new appeal
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - "To restore hope to the Syrian nation, to rebuild schools, infrastructure, hospitals, to allow the return of refugees, peace is the supreme good. For this reason we welcome with respect and love Pope Francis’ new appeal to commit ourselves to a peaceful solution": with these words, entrusted to Fides Agency, Syrian Archimandrite Mtanios Haddad, Procurator of the Greek-Catholic Patriarch Gregory III Laham at the Holy See, commented the Pope's new appeal. "Let us commit ourselves to encouraging all efforts for a diplomatic and political solution of all the focus points of war that still are a cause for concern", said Pope Francis at the end of the general audience today, September 18. "My thoughts - he added – go especially for the dear people of Syria, whose human tragedy can only be resolved through dialogue and negotiation, with respect for justice and the dignity of every person, especially the weakest and most defenseless".
"After two and a half years of conflict and immense suffering for the Syrian people, it is time to welcome the heartfelt invitation of the Pope", stresses Fr. Haddad. "Faced with the degeneration of the conflict, with the entry of many foreign militants, before the spread of religious fanaticism and many armed groups, we hope that the efforts of the international community go in the direction indicated by the Pope. As Syrian Christians we insist that we never put our trust in war and weapons, and that we continue to promote dialogue, justice and peace". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 18/09/2013)
- 2015-10-02 - Archbishop Hindo " McCain’s disturbing words on anti-Assad rebels armed by the CIA"
- 2015-09-29 - Bishop Abou Khazen: the choices of the West on the Syrian conflict continue to be inconsiderate
- 2015-09-25 - The self-defense "Sotoro" militias shoot each other
- 2015-09-18 - The Marists in Aleppo: there is a risk of getting used to horror
- 2015-09-15 - Four Christians among the victims of the jihadist attack in Hassaké
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop Hindo: the demands of the jihadists for the release of the Assyrian hostages are more accessible
- 2015-09-04 - Negotiations on the release of father Murad and 270 hostages, Christians and Muslims
- 2015-09-03 - A video and a letter from Father Jacques Murad, the prior of St. Elian kidnapped last May, has been released
- 2015-08-27 - A Syrian television documentary on the Assyrian Genocide projected in the presence of the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch
- 2015-08-26 - Mortar attacks on two churches in Damascus. The Maronite Archbishop: our life is like a game of Russian roulette