ASIA/SYRIA - "Peace is the supreme good to rebuild Syria": the Syrian people welcomes the Pope's new appeal
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - "To restore hope to the Syrian nation, to rebuild schools, infrastructure, hospitals, to allow the return of refugees, peace is the supreme good. For this reason we welcome with respect and love Pope Francis’ new appeal to commit ourselves to a peaceful solution": with these words, entrusted to Fides Agency, Syrian Archimandrite Mtanios Haddad, Procurator of the Greek-Catholic Patriarch Gregory III Laham at the Holy See, commented the Pope's new appeal. "Let us commit ourselves to encouraging all efforts for a diplomatic and political solution of all the focus points of war that still are a cause for concern", said Pope Francis at the end of the general audience today, September 18. "My thoughts - he added – go especially for the dear people of Syria, whose human tragedy can only be resolved through dialogue and negotiation, with respect for justice and the dignity of every person, especially the weakest and most defenseless".
"After two and a half years of conflict and immense suffering for the Syrian people, it is time to welcome the heartfelt invitation of the Pope", stresses Fr. Haddad. "Faced with the degeneration of the conflict, with the entry of many foreign militants, before the spread of religious fanaticism and many armed groups, we hope that the efforts of the international community go in the direction indicated by the Pope. As Syrian Christians we insist that we never put our trust in war and weapons, and that we continue to promote dialogue, justice and peace". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 18/09/2013)
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus
- 2015-06-12 - President Assad meets the Patriarch and the Synod of Syrian-Orthodox Bishops
- 2015-06-11 - Jihadist militants of al Nusra Front massacre dozens of Druze civilians in Idlib
- 2015-06-09 - The five Patriarchs of Antioch in Damascus: no to the disintegration of Syria
- 2015-06-01 - Muslim leaders for the release of father Murad, but the kidnappers are foreign to the social fabric
- 2015-05-30 - Bishop of Aleppo: unreliable rumors on a jihadist beheaded by an Assyrian soldier. Christians never justify revenge with religious issues