ASIA/SYRIA - "Peace is the supreme good to rebuild Syria": the Syrian people welcomes the Pope's new appeal
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - "To restore hope to the Syrian nation, to rebuild schools, infrastructure, hospitals, to allow the return of refugees, peace is the supreme good. For this reason we welcome with respect and love Pope Francis’ new appeal to commit ourselves to a peaceful solution": with these words, entrusted to Fides Agency, Syrian Archimandrite Mtanios Haddad, Procurator of the Greek-Catholic Patriarch Gregory III Laham at the Holy See, commented the Pope's new appeal. "Let us commit ourselves to encouraging all efforts for a diplomatic and political solution of all the focus points of war that still are a cause for concern", said Pope Francis at the end of the general audience today, September 18. "My thoughts - he added – go especially for the dear people of Syria, whose human tragedy can only be resolved through dialogue and negotiation, with respect for justice and the dignity of every person, especially the weakest and most defenseless".
"After two and a half years of conflict and immense suffering for the Syrian people, it is time to welcome the heartfelt invitation of the Pope", stresses Fr. Haddad. "Faced with the degeneration of the conflict, with the entry of many foreign militants, before the spread of religious fanaticism and many armed groups, we hope that the efforts of the international community go in the direction indicated by the Pope. As Syrian Christians we insist that we never put our trust in war and weapons, and that we continue to promote dialogue, justice and peace". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 18/09/2013)
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"
- 2014-11-14 - Archbishop Hindo: if the US attack the Syrian army, we will have a second Libya
- 2014-11-12 - Negotiations for a truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: it is only useful if it brings us closer to true peace
- 2014-10-30 - The Catholic Syrian Bishops: if the world wants to help us, stop sending us weapons!
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers
- 2014-10-08 - The Franciscan priest kidnapped after he had appealed to the Islamic Court
- 2014-10-07 - Custody of the Holy Land: Fr. Jallouf and other Christians kidnapped by the jihadists linked to al-Nusra