AFRICA/EGYPT - The U.S. Pentagon to General al-Sissi: Protect the Copts
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The U.S. defense secretary Chuck Hagel, in a telephone conversation on Tuesday, September 17 with General Abdel Fattah al-Sissi, rebuked the strong man of the Egyptian army to make every effort to ensure the safety of the Coptic Christian community in Egypt, targeted in recent weeks by the violence of Islamist gangs following the deposition of President Mohamed Morsi. This was reported by Pentagon spokesman George Little in a statement, referring that general Sissi was also invited to take measures to "demonstrate the commitment of the transitional government" in favor of the process of democratic normalization.
In early September, Father Hani Bakhoum, secretary of the Patriarchate of Alexandria of the Catholic Copts, had declared to Fides Agency that "even during the dramatic moment lived in Egypt, exploitation of those asking the actors of the international community to intervene with the excuse of protecting Christians, affected by sectarian fanaticism must be rejected". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 18/09/2013)
- 2015-08-28 - The Coptic Church: the life of the Country depends on the "good health" of the Nile
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity
- 2015-07-22 - A law is being requested against conversions of Christian minors without parental consent
- 2015-07-21 - The Council of Christian Churches convenes a day of prayer on the anniversary of the 1952 "Revolution"
- 2015-07-15 - Patriarch Tawadros withdraws the complaint against the militants of the "38 Copts" association
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General
- 2015-06-26 - Christians organize the "banquet of unity" for Muslims on the occasion of Ramadan