AFRICA/EGYPT - The U.S. Pentagon to General al-Sissi: Protect the Copts
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The U.S. defense secretary Chuck Hagel, in a telephone conversation on Tuesday, September 17 with General Abdel Fattah al-Sissi, rebuked the strong man of the Egyptian army to make every effort to ensure the safety of the Coptic Christian community in Egypt, targeted in recent weeks by the violence of Islamist gangs following the deposition of President Mohamed Morsi. This was reported by Pentagon spokesman George Little in a statement, referring that general Sissi was also invited to take measures to "demonstrate the commitment of the transitional government" in favor of the process of democratic normalization.
In early September, Father Hani Bakhoum, secretary of the Patriarchate of Alexandria of the Catholic Copts, had declared to Fides Agency that "even during the dramatic moment lived in Egypt, exploitation of those asking the actors of the international community to intervene with the excuse of protecting Christians, affected by sectarian fanaticism must be rejected". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 18/09/2013)
- 2015-10-09 - Coptic Organizations call on President al-Sisi to reopen the investigation into the massacre of Maspero
- 2015-10-06 - Sectarian clashes in Samalut, the "city of martyrs": ten Copts wounded
- 2015-10-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: Christians who present themselves as candidates in the Salafist lists are not credible
- 2015-09-30 - The Coptic Church will support the initiatives of President al-Sisi in favor of youth employment
- 2015-09-26 - Patriarch Tawadros visits the Ethiopian "sister Church"
- 2015-09-22 - A Fatwa to allow the Copts on the electoral Salafist lists
- 2015-09-11 - 24 Copts appointed in the electoral lists of the Salafi party
- 2015-09-09 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the Church has a spiritual and not a political mission
- 2015-09-08 - A demonstration protest in front of the Coptic Cathedral has been prohibited
- 2015-09-03 - Egyptian Coptic Patriarch: let us rationalize the use of the Nile waters