AMERICA/CHILE – To love ones homeland inside prisons: Mgr. Chomali celebrates with inmates
Concepcion (Agenzia Fides) - "I know it is not easy to be here when you know we celebrate the Feast of the country outside.
However, despite being in this situation, no one can force you to stop loving your homeland": are His Exc. Mgr. Fernando Chomali’s words, Archbishop of Concepcion, during the homily of the Mass celebrated in the Prison center of El Manzano in Concepcion .
Mgr. Chomali emphasized the Church's pastoral work in prisons, coordinated by Fr. German Hermosilla, prison chaplain, who works with inmates and the guards. A group of pastoral workers regularly visit the prison population and also follow their families. Within this pastoral ministry, there are weekly programs that prepare inmates to receive the sacraments.
The Archbishop invited the inmates to have "a grateful heart, knowing that God listens to us" and concluded: "He is always with us, because although we have made mistakes, Jesus Christ is always merciful. This Mass we prepared for you is really a living space, of faith, of hope, with which we want to encourage everyone". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/09/2013)
- 2014-06-26 - Wüñol Tripantu, the Mapuche celebration of the rebirth of life
- 2014-06-20 - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference
- 2014-05-30 - AMERICA/CHILE – Local Catholic Church committed to educational reform nation wide
- 2014-05-07 - The decline in vocations to priesthood at the center of the Assembly of Bishops of Chile
- 2014-04-14 - Card. Ezzati’s appeal: Solidarity with the people of Valparaiso after the tragic fire
- 2014-01-09 - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples
- 2014-01-07 - "One should listen to the Mapuche people in order to resolve the conflict in Araucanía" asks the Bishop of Temuco
- 2013-12-17 - "Supporting initiatives in favor of development": the President of the Bishops' Conference meets newly elected President Bachelet
- 2013-12-16 - Michelle Bachelet, Chile's new president
- 2013-11-23 - A community divided in two in order to protect the environment threatened by the Pascua Lama project