AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Forming a conscious citizen of the right to peace": month for peace in Sincelejo
Sincelejo (Agenzia Fides ) - "If you want peace in Colombia, one must form a conscious citizen to have the right to peace. But it is also necessary that people have the right to protest, without violence, and also has the right to demand answers" said the Bishop of the Diocese of Sincelejo (Colombia), His Exc. Mgr. Nel Beltran Santamaria, in a press conference on the celebrations of the Month for Peace.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, according to Mgr. Beltran the current situation in Colombia is the result of broken promises, only now people are exasperated: "it is like when we have a closed pan, when the heat is concentrated, it explodes. So the same thing happens with social problems in the country". The bishop continued: "People should not behave like exploding volcanoes, but continue permanent protests. To protest against those we have chosen is not needed, if we have chosen them in the wrong way, we must think about how to make rulers understand how we think and the differences that we have, in a democratic way".
Mgr. Beltran Santamaria also explained that the reason for the "Month for Peace" is part of social pedagogy: to put on the table and in the consciousness of people the awareness that we do not have the level of peace we should have. From the first days of September and until September 25, the Diocese of Sincelejo have urged the population to participate in forums and other activities promoted in educational centers for the Month for Peace, with a very specific purpose: to promote the Culture of Peace. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2013)
- 2013-12-09 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Strong condemnation of the attack committed by the FARC, that declare a truce for Christmas
- 2013-11-26 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - FARC "authorize" the opening of churches in the south of the country, but only on Sundays
- 2013-11-25 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Violence and Conflicts: Women suffer the most
- 2013-11-18 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Two children a day are abandoned in the capital of the Country
- 2013-11-08 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A second agreement has been reached, the Church proposes "a policy of reconciliation for definitive peace"
- 2013-10-30 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Social Inclusion, always together with building social peace
- 2013-10-25 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The popular referendum on peace agreements with the FARC is almost ready
- 2013-10-24 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Towards the Symposium on Theology India: the Church more present in different cultures
- 2013-10-22 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Terrorism alarm in Tumaco: commission lead by the Bishop seeks dialogue with the FARC
- 2013-10-10 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A Foundation in favor of children victims of sexual abuse