AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Forming a conscious citizen of the right to peace": month for peace in Sincelejo
Sincelejo (Agenzia Fides ) - "If you want peace in Colombia, one must form a conscious citizen to have the right to peace. But it is also necessary that people have the right to protest, without violence, and also has the right to demand answers" said the Bishop of the Diocese of Sincelejo (Colombia), His Exc. Mgr. Nel Beltran Santamaria, in a press conference on the celebrations of the Month for Peace.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, according to Mgr. Beltran the current situation in Colombia is the result of broken promises, only now people are exasperated: "it is like when we have a closed pan, when the heat is concentrated, it explodes. So the same thing happens with social problems in the country". The bishop continued: "People should not behave like exploding volcanoes, but continue permanent protests. To protest against those we have chosen is not needed, if we have chosen them in the wrong way, we must think about how to make rulers understand how we think and the differences that we have, in a democratic way".
Mgr. Beltran Santamaria also explained that the reason for the "Month for Peace" is part of social pedagogy: to put on the table and in the consciousness of people the awareness that we do not have the level of peace we should have. From the first days of September and until September 25, the Diocese of Sincelejo have urged the population to participate in forums and other activities promoted in educational centers for the Month for Peace, with a very specific purpose: to promote the Culture of Peace. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2013)
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue
- 2015-03-23 - A priest killed after a violent attempted robbery
- 2015-03-18 - Elections: the Archbishop of Medellin urges the socio-political formation of the community
- 2015-03-10 - "Weapons, from security to threat for the family, must be eliminated" asks the Archbishop of Medellin
- 2015-03-04 - Meeting of Bishops Emeritus
- 2015-03-02 - Testimony of Mgr. Vidal: "Promises arrive in Cúcuta, never decisions"
- 2015-02-21 - Lent: multimedia “On the way to Easter”
- 2015-02-10 - The proposal of the FARC divides public opinion
- 2015-01-29 - Nearly 50 000 children victims of homicide because of armed conflict
- 2015-01-26 - We need leaders who are committed and not "deaf and dumb authorities" says Mgr. Epalza