AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Forming a conscious citizen of the right to peace": month for peace in Sincelejo
Sincelejo (Agenzia Fides ) - "If you want peace in Colombia, one must form a conscious citizen to have the right to peace. But it is also necessary that people have the right to protest, without violence, and also has the right to demand answers" said the Bishop of the Diocese of Sincelejo (Colombia), His Exc. Mgr. Nel Beltran Santamaria, in a press conference on the celebrations of the Month for Peace.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, according to Mgr. Beltran the current situation in Colombia is the result of broken promises, only now people are exasperated: "it is like when we have a closed pan, when the heat is concentrated, it explodes. So the same thing happens with social problems in the country". The bishop continued: "People should not behave like exploding volcanoes, but continue permanent protests. To protest against those we have chosen is not needed, if we have chosen them in the wrong way, we must think about how to make rulers understand how we think and the differences that we have, in a democratic way".
Mgr. Beltran Santamaria also explained that the reason for the "Month for Peace" is part of social pedagogy: to put on the table and in the consciousness of people the awareness that we do not have the level of peace we should have. From the first days of September and until September 25, the Diocese of Sincelejo have urged the population to participate in forums and other activities promoted in educational centers for the Month for Peace, with a very specific purpose: to promote the Culture of Peace. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2013)
- 2014-02-27 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - We Colombians cannot be indifferent to the suffering experienced by our brothers and sisters in Venezuela
- 2014-02-25 AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Dialogue between two parties on equal terms, not between weak and powerful
- 2014-02-24 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Colombians deported from Venezuela: Catholic Bishops in border area dioceses work to provide assistance and promote peace
- 2014-02-21 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The army must be armored against corruption
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The children of the Aboriginal community Wayuu continue to die of hunger
- 2014-02-10 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Peace negotiations with other groups: the Church's commitment
- 2014-02-05 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Post- conflict" keyword in the dialogue President-Bishops
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church's contribution to dialogues of peace: respect the rights of the population
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Plenary Assembly of Bishops on the importance of pastoral action
- 2014-01-27 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Appeal after the murder of two people in a Church: "They want to kill hope"