AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Your Holiness, pray for peace in the DRC": letter from "Première Dame" to Pope Francis
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "On behalf of the Congolese people, who I humbly represent, I would like to ask His Holiness for the intercession of prayer for lasting peace in the Democratic Republic of Congo", asks Ms. Marie Olive Lembe Kabilakabange, Congolese President Joseph Kabila’s wife , in a letter sent to Pope Francis.
In the letter "all kinds of atrocities suffered by the population for decades were recalled due to the many unjust wars, currently focused in the eastern DRC, that have caused enormous loss of lives".
The Congolese "First Lady" also invites the Holy Father to visit the country "to give comfort and hope to the people with a Catholic majority who hopes to live in peace and harmony".
From the east of the Country, however, reports of renewed violence and growing tension continue. The Coordination of the Civil Society of North Kivu denounces the concentration of Ugandan troops (it is believed 12,000 soldiers) on the Congolese-Ugandan border near Bunagana. It is feared that the troops of Kampala are in the process of crossing the border to give the rebels of the M23 a hand, which is already receiving support from the Rwandan army, and seems to have been reinforced by a unit of Eritrean mercenaries.
In a further note sent to Fides, the Coordination of Civil Society of North Kivu said that on 15 and 16 September the men of the M23 forced about 800 families in Rutshuru territory to flee . These people are deprived of humanitarian assistance. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2013)
- 2014-03-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
- 2014-02-28 AFRICA/DR CONGO - “We have yet to verify the presence of the bodies of the three Assumptionist priests in mass graves discovered” says the Bishop Butembo-Beni
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO – United Nations will increase Peacekeeping troops in Katanga, a drama signalled by the country's Catholic Bishops
- 2014-02-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Unspeakable violence in Katanga" denounce the Bishops of the Province
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - North Congolese, an explosive mix: ex Central African combatants and gold mines
- 2014-02-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The flow of Central Africans seeking refuge in the DRC does not stop
- 2014-02-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR -"Humanitarian catastrophe" in Katanga, says the UN
- 2014-01-30 AFRICA/DR CONGO - More than 500,000 displaced people from 66 villages destroyed by the rebels in Katanga
- 2014-01-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Catholic Church saves a dozen children from human trafficking
- 2014-01-15 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Disturbing speculations on the killing of the officer who defeated the M23