AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Your Holiness, pray for peace in the DRC": letter from "Première Dame" to Pope Francis
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "On behalf of the Congolese people, who I humbly represent, I would like to ask His Holiness for the intercession of prayer for lasting peace in the Democratic Republic of Congo", asks Ms. Marie Olive Lembe Kabilakabange, Congolese President Joseph Kabila’s wife , in a letter sent to Pope Francis.
In the letter "all kinds of atrocities suffered by the population for decades were recalled due to the many unjust wars, currently focused in the eastern DRC, that have caused enormous loss of lives".
The Congolese "First Lady" also invites the Holy Father to visit the country "to give comfort and hope to the people with a Catholic majority who hopes to live in peace and harmony".
From the east of the Country, however, reports of renewed violence and growing tension continue. The Coordination of the Civil Society of North Kivu denounces the concentration of Ugandan troops (it is believed 12,000 soldiers) on the Congolese-Ugandan border near Bunagana. It is feared that the troops of Kampala are in the process of crossing the border to give the rebels of the M23 a hand, which is already receiving support from the Rwandan army, and seems to have been reinforced by a unit of Eritrean mercenaries.
In a further note sent to Fides, the Coordination of Civil Society of North Kivu said that on 15 and 16 September the men of the M23 forced about 800 families in Rutshuru territory to flee . These people are deprived of humanitarian assistance. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2013)
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few
- 2015-03-31 - The creation of new provinces is likely to result in a postponement of local elections
- 2015-03-18 - New violence in North Kivu: "there is an attempt to block the operations against the FDLR" denounces civil society
- 2015-03-12 - Alarm for the recruitment of young Muslims in eastern Congo
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years