ASIA/IRAQ - Elections in Iraqi Kurdistan: Patriarch Sako's appeal to Christian politicians
Baghdad ( Agenzia Fides) – With regards to the upcoming general elections for the Kurdistan region of Iraq - set for Saturday, September 21 - the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans Louis Raphael I Sako appealed to the candidates of the Christian faith to commit themselves "to improving our towns and villages in terms of housing, services and infrastructure, creating jobs so that Christians do not emigrate". In the message, sent to Fides Agency, the Patriarch invites everyone to work for a full achievement of rights linked to citizenship. In view of the national elections, scheduled in 2014, Patriarch Sako also suggested to create a "Christian Political Council" that coordinates the proposed initiatives of the baptized involved in political activity either individually or through training policies expressed by the different ecclesial communities. The contribution of Christians to national cohesion in jeopardy by sectarian conflict - said His Beatitude Sako - would certainly be favored by an increase in the number of deputies elected in the various Christian parties, as well as the share of seats reserved for politicians belonging to different religious minorities.
2,803,000 Iraqis are called to the polls to elect 111 representatives in the fourth regional legislature of Iraqi Kurdistan. The result of the vote does not seem granted. The split between the two main parties, the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KD ) and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) could favor Islamist parties. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2013)
- 2015-08-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to Iraqi political leaders: integrate the voluntary militias in the army
- 2015-08-24 - A committee against abuse and violence against Christians has been set up
- 2015-08-08 - "We are hated because we persist in wanting to exist as Christians", testimony of Mgr. Warda
- 2015-08-06 - A year ago ISIS expelled Christians from the Nineveh plain
- 2015-07-23 - Also in Kirkuk expropriation of Christian homes
- 2015-07-22 - The government orders the transfer of the military of the Nineveh Plain to Baghdad; Christian politicians protest
- 2015-07-14 - The Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Mosul transformed into a mosque
- 2015-07-10 - In Baghdad, Christians kidnapped and killed despite the payment of ransom
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"