ASIA/IRAQ - Elections in Iraqi Kurdistan: Patriarch Sako's appeal to Christian politicians
Baghdad ( Agenzia Fides) – With regards to the upcoming general elections for the Kurdistan region of Iraq - set for Saturday, September 21 - the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans Louis Raphael I Sako appealed to the candidates of the Christian faith to commit themselves "to improving our towns and villages in terms of housing, services and infrastructure, creating jobs so that Christians do not emigrate". In the message, sent to Fides Agency, the Patriarch invites everyone to work for a full achievement of rights linked to citizenship. In view of the national elections, scheduled in 2014, Patriarch Sako also suggested to create a "Christian Political Council" that coordinates the proposed initiatives of the baptized involved in political activity either individually or through training policies expressed by the different ecclesial communities. The contribution of Christians to national cohesion in jeopardy by sectarian conflict - said His Beatitude Sako - would certainly be favored by an increase in the number of deputies elected in the various Christian parties, as well as the share of seats reserved for politicians belonging to different religious minorities.
2,803,000 Iraqis are called to the polls to elect 111 representatives in the fourth regional legislature of Iraqi Kurdistan. The result of the vote does not seem granted. The split between the two main parties, the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KD ) and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) could favor Islamist parties. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2013)
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV
- 2015-03-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to the UN: the "Arab Spring" impacted negatively on Christians
- 2015-03-16 - Chaldean Patriarch: a law against preachers who incite violence is needed
- 2015-03-12 - The monastery of St. George in Mosul damaged, but not destroyed
- 2015-03-10 - Appeal of the Chaldean Patriarch: the offensive against the Caliphate causes new humanitarian emergencies
- 2015-02-24 - ASIA/IRAQ – Courses to start soon at Erbil Catholic University