ASIA/IRAQ - Elections in Iraqi Kurdistan: Patriarch Sako's appeal to Christian politicians
Baghdad ( Agenzia Fides) – With regards to the upcoming general elections for the Kurdistan region of Iraq - set for Saturday, September 21 - the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans Louis Raphael I Sako appealed to the candidates of the Christian faith to commit themselves "to improving our towns and villages in terms of housing, services and infrastructure, creating jobs so that Christians do not emigrate". In the message, sent to Fides Agency, the Patriarch invites everyone to work for a full achievement of rights linked to citizenship. In view of the national elections, scheduled in 2014, Patriarch Sako also suggested to create a "Christian Political Council" that coordinates the proposed initiatives of the baptized involved in political activity either individually or through training policies expressed by the different ecclesial communities. The contribution of Christians to national cohesion in jeopardy by sectarian conflict - said His Beatitude Sako - would certainly be favored by an increase in the number of deputies elected in the various Christian parties, as well as the share of seats reserved for politicians belonging to different religious minorities.
2,803,000 Iraqis are called to the polls to elect 111 representatives in the fourth regional legislature of Iraqi Kurdistan. The result of the vote does not seem granted. The split between the two main parties, the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KD ) and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) could favor Islamist parties. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2013)
- 2015-11-20 - Christian and Muslim leaders in Kurdistan celebrate together the "day of tolerance"
- 2015-11-13 - A kindergarten, a language and professional training center for the displaced
- 2015-11-11 - Large participation in the protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-09 - Chaldean Patriarch convenes a protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-05 - Even Christians demonstrate in Erbil against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-10-28 - Parliament rejected the request to change the law on the religious affiliation regarding children
- 2015-10-23 - 400 young Christians take part in Kirkuk Youth Day
- 2015-10-10 - Christians in Erbil protest against corruption, "our neighborhoods are being filled with infamous clubs"
- 2015-10-09 - Two Iraqi sisters go and live among the Christian refugees camped in Erbil
- 2015-10-06 - Iraqi Ministry of Justice: Christian property will be protected