ASIA/IRAQ - Elections in Iraqi Kurdistan: Patriarch Sako's appeal to Christian politicians
Baghdad ( Agenzia Fides) – With regards to the upcoming general elections for the Kurdistan region of Iraq - set for Saturday, September 21 - the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans Louis Raphael I Sako appealed to the candidates of the Christian faith to commit themselves "to improving our towns and villages in terms of housing, services and infrastructure, creating jobs so that Christians do not emigrate". In the message, sent to Fides Agency, the Patriarch invites everyone to work for a full achievement of rights linked to citizenship. In view of the national elections, scheduled in 2014, Patriarch Sako also suggested to create a "Christian Political Council" that coordinates the proposed initiatives of the baptized involved in political activity either individually or through training policies expressed by the different ecclesial communities. The contribution of Christians to national cohesion in jeopardy by sectarian conflict - said His Beatitude Sako - would certainly be favored by an increase in the number of deputies elected in the various Christian parties, as well as the share of seats reserved for politicians belonging to different religious minorities.
2,803,000 Iraqis are called to the polls to elect 111 representatives in the fourth regional legislature of Iraqi Kurdistan. The result of the vote does not seem granted. The split between the two main parties, the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KD ) and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) could favor Islamist parties. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2013)
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"
- 2014-07-23 - The jihadists of the "Caliphate" attack Tilkif, rejected by Kurdish Peshmerga
- 2014-07-22 - Last exodus from Mosul: nearly three thousand Christians
- 2014-07-21 - ASIA/IRAQ – The Syrian Monastery of Mar Behnam in the hands of the militia of the "Islamic Caliphate"
- 2014-07-18 - The last Christian families leave Mosul
- 2014-07-16 - In Mosul, the Islamic Caliphate orders: no aid to Christians and Shiites, while their homes are being expropriated
- 2014-07-15 - Letter from Patriarch Louis Raphael I to Iraqi Parliament: there is no time to waste
- 2014-07-15 - The Chaldean nuns and the children released, "a sign of hope for all"