ASIA/IRAQ - Elections in Iraqi Kurdistan: Patriarch Sako's appeal to Christian politicians
Baghdad ( Agenzia Fides) – With regards to the upcoming general elections for the Kurdistan region of Iraq - set for Saturday, September 21 - the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans Louis Raphael I Sako appealed to the candidates of the Christian faith to commit themselves "to improving our towns and villages in terms of housing, services and infrastructure, creating jobs so that Christians do not emigrate". In the message, sent to Fides Agency, the Patriarch invites everyone to work for a full achievement of rights linked to citizenship. In view of the national elections, scheduled in 2014, Patriarch Sako also suggested to create a "Christian Political Council" that coordinates the proposed initiatives of the baptized involved in political activity either individually or through training policies expressed by the different ecclesial communities. The contribution of Christians to national cohesion in jeopardy by sectarian conflict - said His Beatitude Sako - would certainly be favored by an increase in the number of deputies elected in the various Christian parties, as well as the share of seats reserved for politicians belonging to different religious minorities.
2,803,000 Iraqis are called to the polls to elect 111 representatives in the fourth regional legislature of Iraqi Kurdistan. The result of the vote does not seem granted. The split between the two main parties, the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KD ) and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) could favor Islamist parties. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2013)
- 2014-09-13 - The school year in the Islamic Caliphate: the teaching of Syriac and Christian names of schools have been abolished
- 2014-09-11 - ASIA/IRAQ – Air raids hit areas adjacent to two churches in Mosul
- 2014-09-10 - Syrian Catholic priest says: Christians will return to the Plain of Ninive only when and if Mosul is freed
- 2014-09-05 - Head of Caritas Lebanon: we welcome Iraqi Christian refugees, but they are determined to leave the Middle East
- 2014-09-04 - Chaldean Catholic Patriarch: to free Ninive province we need a peacekeeping operation and Christians enrolled in local police force
- 2014-08-22 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni: my mission among the sufferings of the Iraqi brothers
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"