ASIA/INDIA - Christian schools strike to protest against the acts of vandalism in an institute
Calcutta ( Agenzia Fides) - Christian schools in the state of West Bengal will be closed on September 19 to protest against the acts of vandalism that hit a Christian school near Calcutta. As reported to Fides by the local Church, the decision was taken during an emergency meeting of the Association of Christian Schools, which includes various ecclesial bodies of different denominations that manage educational institutions in the state. The "closure" declared by the Christians – explains a statement sent to Fides - aims to raise awareness and urge civil authorities to ensure Christian schools the normal educational-teaching, which students of different religions and social classes benefit from.
On September 12, a mob attacked the "Christ Church" secondary school, a female institute founded 130 years ago, in a suburb of Calcutta, blaming the headmistress for the death of a girl, bullied by some older students. The crowd damaged the school, classrooms were looted, destroying computers and teaching materials and forcing the headmistress Helen Sarkar to apologize publicly and hand in her resignation. The police arrested her because of the pressure they received from extremists, "The Church of North India" (CNI), Anglican Christian community that runs the school, has decided to close the institute for the time being. Meanwhile, parents and students gathered at the closed gates to express solidarity with the school staff and to protest against vandalism. The ACS has also decided to submit the matter to the governor of the state of West Bengal, M.K. Narayanan, deploring the way in which the police and civil authorities have handled the case. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - The Bishops to the President: We will give a great contribution to the country
- 2014-03-27 - Street children who live in train stations rescued by a Catholic priest
- 2014-03-21 - "Do justice": the Indian Church next to the weakest
- 2014-03-14 - Three convicted and six acquitted for the rape of a nun in the massacres of Christians in Orissa
- 2014-03-12 - "A just peace! "Church's solidarity with the people of Syria
- 2014-03-10 - Christians in Goa ask: To postpone the elections scheduled on Holy Thursday
- 2014-03-10 - Attack in a prayer hall in Orissa, two people arrested
- 2014-03-07 - Where to be born female is considered "a disaster "
- 2014-03-05 - Religious freedom at risk and violence against minorities, in view of the general elections
- 2014-03-03 - Two men accused of having participated in the murder of the missionary Graham Staines have been acquitted