ASIA/INDIA - Christian schools strike to protest against the acts of vandalism in an institute
Calcutta ( Agenzia Fides) - Christian schools in the state of West Bengal will be closed on September 19 to protest against the acts of vandalism that hit a Christian school near Calcutta. As reported to Fides by the local Church, the decision was taken during an emergency meeting of the Association of Christian Schools, which includes various ecclesial bodies of different denominations that manage educational institutions in the state. The "closure" declared by the Christians – explains a statement sent to Fides - aims to raise awareness and urge civil authorities to ensure Christian schools the normal educational-teaching, which students of different religions and social classes benefit from.
On September 12, a mob attacked the "Christ Church" secondary school, a female institute founded 130 years ago, in a suburb of Calcutta, blaming the headmistress for the death of a girl, bullied by some older students. The crowd damaged the school, classrooms were looted, destroying computers and teaching materials and forcing the headmistress Helen Sarkar to apologize publicly and hand in her resignation. The police arrested her because of the pressure they received from extremists, "The Church of North India" (CNI), Anglican Christian community that runs the school, has decided to close the institute for the time being. Meanwhile, parents and students gathered at the closed gates to express solidarity with the school staff and to protest against vandalism. The ACS has also decided to submit the matter to the governor of the state of West Bengal, M.K. Narayanan, deploring the way in which the police and civil authorities have handled the case. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2013)
- 2014-12-19 - Education, food and protection for orphaned girls
- 2014-12-19 - Christian leaders: "Christmas with a heavy heart because of the violence against Churches"
- 2014-12-16 - Year of the consecrated life: Sisters in brothels to save the enslaved prostitutes
- 2014-12-11 - Catholics: "The government must not encourage Hindu extremists"
- 2014-12-09 - Human Rights Day: Bishops focus on minorities, religious, tribals and Dalit
- 2014-12-06 - Artists of different faiths reflect on Saint Francis Xavier
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/INDIA – Protection for churches and religious freedom: Franciscans mobilise
- 2014-12-03 - “Treated worse than animals”: dramatic situation of women with psychological or intellectual disabilities
- 2014-12-03 - Srinagar and appointment of successor
- 2014-12-02 - Over 70 million children suffer from chronic malnutrition and 13 million work