AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The Church inherits the grand Luna Park theater, National Monument of Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - The grand "Luna Park" theater in Buenos Aires, able to accommodate up to 10 thousand seated spectators, where memorable pages have been written in the history of politics, culture and sport of Argentina, has become property of the Catholic Church. According to what was reported by a source of Fides Agency in Buenos Aires, the main shareholder of the company that owns the property, before dying bequeathed the prestigious property to the Caritas of Buenos Aires and the Salesians of St. Giovanni Bosco. In fact Ernestina de Lectoure died on February 9 at the age of 95 after a long illness and had no children and in her will left 95% of the Luna Park Lectoure Stadium and Lectoure SR, to the Salesian Society of St. Giovanni Bosco and Caritas, legally represented by the Archbishopric of Buenos Aires.
Considered one of the icons of the city, the theater hosted major events and political and cultural events such as the meeting with Pope John Paul II during his visit to Buenos Aires (1987), Frank Sinatra, Liza Minnelli and Luciano Pavarotti concerts. Built in 1930, the theater was declared a "National Historic Landmark" in 200, so any repair or modification of the building must be approved by the National Commission of Museums, Monuments and Historic Places, which depends on the Ministry of Culture of the Nation. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2013)
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites
- 2014-05-28 - Church and civil authorities together for the safety of citizens
- 2014-05-26 - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
- 2014-05-14 - "The country is sick of violence": proposal of Bishops to respond to this reality
- 2014-05-05 - Episcopal Assembly begins: "It is impossible to get used to drugs and violence"
- 2014-04-10 - For the Bishop of Posadas: "Lynchings, a serious social problem to be solved together"