AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The Church inherits the grand Luna Park theater, National Monument of Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - The grand "Luna Park" theater in Buenos Aires, able to accommodate up to 10 thousand seated spectators, where memorable pages have been written in the history of politics, culture and sport of Argentina, has become property of the Catholic Church. According to what was reported by a source of Fides Agency in Buenos Aires, the main shareholder of the company that owns the property, before dying bequeathed the prestigious property to the Caritas of Buenos Aires and the Salesians of St. Giovanni Bosco. In fact Ernestina de Lectoure died on February 9 at the age of 95 after a long illness and had no children and in her will left 95% of the Luna Park Lectoure Stadium and Lectoure SR, to the Salesian Society of St. Giovanni Bosco and Caritas, legally represented by the Archbishopric of Buenos Aires.
Considered one of the icons of the city, the theater hosted major events and political and cultural events such as the meeting with Pope John Paul II during his visit to Buenos Aires (1987), Frank Sinatra, Liza Minnelli and Luciano Pavarotti concerts. Built in 1930, the theater was declared a "National Historic Landmark" in 200, so any repair or modification of the building must be approved by the National Commission of Museums, Monuments and Historic Places, which depends on the Ministry of Culture of the Nation. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/09/2013)
- 2015-08-18 - “They steal not only the people’s money but also their hope” Bishop Lozano denounces
- 2015-08-05 - Argentina recalls the murder of Mgr. Angelelli who opposed to dictatorship
- 2015-07-22 - "Bring Christ to families": hundreds of young people on a mission to Goya
- 2015-07-21 - "Mission, a way of life": towards the fourth National Meeting of Missionary Groups
- 2015-07-15 - Nearly 30 percent of Argentines live in a situation of poverty
- 2015-07-10 - The Archbishop of Tucuman denounces: laws that violate the rights and freedom of conscience, attacks against the Church, a climate of fear
- 2015-06-24 - Bishop of Jujuy: "We need the State’s strong support against drugs"
- 2015-06-18 - The first Congress on intercultural and interreligious dialogue
- 2015-06-12 - "We are concerned about the new poor", said Mgr. Ojea, head of Caritas
- 2015-06-11 - "In this America's Cup, and always, say no to trafficking": campaign against human trafficking