AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops denounce "the attempts of foreign agencies to introduce unhealthy values in society"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides ) - "It is deeply disappointing that Nigeria is blessed by an abundance of resources that do not reflect the lives of its children", say the Nigerian Bishops in a statement sent to Fides Agency at the end of their second 2013 Plenary Assembly.
"The fraudulent use of public money deprives citizens of basic services such as quality education, adequate health care, decent roads, continuous supply of electricity, drinking water, etc...
The cost of governance is correspondingly high, compared to the funds allocated for the development of infrastructure and provision of services".
The Nigerian Bishops' Conference also expressed concern about "the continuous attempts by foreign agencies to introduce unhealthy values in our society in their campaigns for abortion, condom distribution and promotion of homosexual unions". "We condemn these actions. We launch an appeal to the good people of Nigeria so that they also reject these attempts, otherwise we risk losing our faith, our identity and our culture of self-love", say the Bishops, who are happy for the vote of the Federal Senate, which rejected a bill on marriage between persons of the same sex.
The document also emphasizes the opposition of the Catholic Church to death penalty and the defense of life from conception to natural death.
As far as the security situation is concerned, the Bishops congratulate the government for "daring actions" taken to reduce the terrorist attacks carried out by Boko Haram , especially in the states of Adamawa, Borno Yobe, where a state of emergency was introduced. The document , however, denounces the existence of other forms of crime (kidnapping, armed robbery) and the circulation of illegal weapons, as further threats to the stability and security of the nation, which the authorities have to face with urgency. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/09/2013)
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"
- 2015-07-15 - Boko Haram strikes again, but no longer controls whole territories
- 2015-07-10 - sex marriages in the western world
- 2015-07-06 - New attacks of Boko Haram: a mosque and a Protestant Church
- 2015-07-03 - "Boko Haram wants to punish Muslims who rebel against their violence", says a priest from Abuja
- 2015-07-01 - "Precarious security and non-existent infrastructure in the areas liberated by Boko Haram" reports the Bishop of Yola
- 2015-06-24 - "Despite the latest attacks, we hope that Boko Haram will be soon defeated" says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-06-22 - Priest kidnapped on June 8 has been released, no ransom was paid
- 2015-06-13 - Still no contact with the kidnappers of the priest kidnapped
- 2015-06-11 - "We are waiting to be contacted by the kidnappers", says the Bishop of Ekiti after the kidnapping of a priest