AMERICA/MEXICO - "Family beyond borders": the Bishops announce a document on emigrants
El Paso (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of the border dioceses of Mexico, Texas and New Mexico, have published a message addressed to Catholics and all people of good will, at the end of the second year's meeting, held on 7 and September 8. In the text, sent to Fides Agency by the Mexican Episcopal Conference, the Bishops expressed "our concerns about the situation of millions of undocumented people who emigrate to the United States. We are particularly concerned about the involvement of many families who were separated due to the lack of a proper immigration reform. At present, those who suffer most are thousands of children and young people who are deprived of their parents and other family members", reads the document.
The text recalls the current situation: "We are in a time when leaders of the United States will face the issue of immigration reform as a priority. As pastors we want to contribute to this moment of reflection and action with a letter that we are going to submit titled: 'Family beyond the borders' ".
At the end of the text, the Bishops renew an appeal: "With all due respect, we also turn to those responsible for the implementation of this immigration reform in the United States to make every effort in their work, with the understanding of human dignity for every emigrant, so that they contribute to the progress and development of the country".
For many years the Church has been committed to the respect of migrants and their rights, especially in border areas (see Fides 05/11/2008) and has launched several campaigns to seek the intervention of authorities on the subject (see Fides 9/03/2011 ). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/09/2013)
- 2013-12-07 AMERICA/MEXICO - "The Church is not afraid of threats", says the Bishop of Toluca
- 2013-12-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - "They left alive, we want them back alive": solidarity for the Caravan of Central American mothers
- 2013-11-25 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Violence against women is a social challenge", says Bishop Sanchez
- 2013-11-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - The Archbishop of Morelia calls on the population: "take shelter... there is violence in the street"
- 2013-11-12 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Evangelization in a context of violence" at the center of the reflection of the Bishops’ Assembly
- 2013-11-11 AMERICA/MEXICO - Three commitments on behalf of the authorities for migrants, after the intervention of Mgr. Vera López
- 2013-11-06 AMERICA/MEXICO – Historic event: a Bishop at the Congress of Coahuila opens a dialogue for the rights of migrants
- 2013-11-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - Children do not want to speak indigenous languages for fear of discrimination
- 2013-11-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - "We want peace!": The Bishop of Apatzingan leads a march with thousands of faithful
- 2013-11-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - A net divides the two countries, many families and even the altar for the Mass for Migrants