AFRICA/EGYPT - Pope Tawadros II resumes public catechesis: hatred must not enter our hearts
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - After a suspension of about 10 weeks, due to the clashes that rocked the Country following the deposition of Islamist President Morsi, the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II yesterday returned to appear in public at the traditional meeting of prayer and catechesis held every Wednesday afternoon at the Coptic Cathedral in Cairo.
In his preaching - held in conjunction with the so-called "Coptic New Year", the first day of the year according to the ancient Egyptian calendar – Pope Tawadros made clear reference to the Coptic Christians who were killed in August in the attacks suffered by Islamist groups, celebrating them as new martyrs. "The world is saved because it is in God's hands, and Egypt has a special place in His heart. God gives us the same faith and confidence of the martyrs, so that we must not be anyone’s enemy... Let us not allow hatred and hostility to penetrate our hearts", said the Coptic Patriarch in the course of his preaching. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 12/09/2013)
- 2015-09-30 - The Coptic Church will support the initiatives of President al-Sisi in favor of youth employment
- 2015-09-26 - Patriarch Tawadros visits the Ethiopian "sister Church"
- 2015-09-22 - A Fatwa to allow the Copts on the electoral Salafist lists
- 2015-09-11 - 24 Copts appointed in the electoral lists of the Salafi party
- 2015-09-09 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the Church has a spiritual and not a political mission
- 2015-09-08 - A demonstration protest in front of the Coptic Cathedral has been prohibited
- 2015-09-03 - Egyptian Coptic Patriarch: let us rationalize the use of the Nile waters
- 2015-09-02 - New investigations into the case of Mariam, the Coptic student discriminated
- 2015-08-28 - The Coptic Church: the life of the Country depends on the "good health" of the Nile
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity