AFRICA/EGYPT - Pope Tawadros II resumes public catechesis: hatred must not enter our hearts
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - After a suspension of about 10 weeks, due to the clashes that rocked the Country following the deposition of Islamist President Morsi, the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II yesterday returned to appear in public at the traditional meeting of prayer and catechesis held every Wednesday afternoon at the Coptic Cathedral in Cairo.
In his preaching - held in conjunction with the so-called "Coptic New Year", the first day of the year according to the ancient Egyptian calendar – Pope Tawadros made clear reference to the Coptic Christians who were killed in August in the attacks suffered by Islamist groups, celebrating them as new martyrs. "The world is saved because it is in God's hands, and Egypt has a special place in His heart. God gives us the same faith and confidence of the martyrs, so that we must not be anyone’s enemy... Let us not allow hatred and hostility to penetrate our hearts", said the Coptic Patriarch in the course of his preaching. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 12/09/2013)
- 2014-12-19 - Islamist threats against the Christmas celebration; Muslim leaders: we defend the churches together with Christians
- 2014-12-15 - Al Azhar: those who commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam cannot be labelled "infidel"
- 2014-12-13 - The Coptic Orthodox Church: "Employment Day" for young job seekers
- 2014-12-10 - The government is studying the draft electoral law, 24 seats reserved for Christians
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – In Minya Governatorate in 4 years some 120 million Egyptian pounds paid in ransom for kidnapped Christians
- 2014-12-04 - For Copt Catholic Bishop Antonios Mina the anti-Islamist terrorism Conference at al-Azhar was “epochal”
- 2014-12-03 - Conference on Islam and Terrorism at Al Azhar. Imam al- Tayyeb: “takfirist” extremism perverts the Islamic religion
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West