AFRICA/EGYPT - Pope Tawadros II resumes public catechesis: hatred must not enter our hearts
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - After a suspension of about 10 weeks, due to the clashes that rocked the Country following the deposition of Islamist President Morsi, the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II yesterday returned to appear in public at the traditional meeting of prayer and catechesis held every Wednesday afternoon at the Coptic Cathedral in Cairo.
In his preaching - held in conjunction with the so-called "Coptic New Year", the first day of the year according to the ancient Egyptian calendar – Pope Tawadros made clear reference to the Coptic Christians who were killed in August in the attacks suffered by Islamist groups, celebrating them as new martyrs. "The world is saved because it is in God's hands, and Egypt has a special place in His heart. God gives us the same faith and confidence of the martyrs, so that we must not be anyone’s enemy... Let us not allow hatred and hostility to penetrate our hearts", said the Coptic Patriarch in the course of his preaching. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 12/09/2013)
- 2015-04-27 - Muslims collect money to build a church in the Egyptian province of Al Manufiyya
- 2015-04-22 - Imams and priests promote the "culture of encounter" preaching together in schools in Minya
- 2015-04-21 - The Islamic University of Al Azhar condemns the massacre of jihadist of Christian Ethiopians
- 2015-04-20 - Coptic Bishop Antonios Aziz Mina on Ethiopian Christians massacred: the martyrs are those in whom the great and consoling victory of Christ shines
- 2015-04-16 - The Coptic Patriarch will participate in the commemorations of the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, to be held in Yerevan
- 2015-04-01 - Laying of the foundation stone of the church dedicated to the "Martyrs of Libya"
- 2015-03-31 - The Coptic Orthodox Church invites President al-Sisi to Easter Mass
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope