AFRICA/CONGO DR - Still looting and violence against civilians on behalf of the M23 despite peace talks
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Despite peace talks being held in Kampala (Uganda) between the Government of the Democratic Republic of Congo and the rebels of the M23, the latter continue to plunder and harass civilians in North Kivu (east of the Country).
According to a note sent to Fides Agency by the coordination of civil society in North Kivu, in the night between 9 and 10 September, elements of the M23 looted houses in the villages of Kingarame, Kitambi, Kashawa and Bunyangula, in central Rutshuru, stealing food, goats, chicken, money and valuables. "To take away the spoils, the guerrillas used a truck they had stolen last November during the occupation of Goma" says the release.
Due to intimidation and threats of the M23 "the people live in psychosis" denounces the coordination of local civil society.
The press release also states that the M23 takes advantage of the talks in Kampala to strengthen and prepare new offensives against the regular army. "Taking advantage of the respite afforded by the ICGLR (International Conference of the Great Lakes Region under whose aegis negotiations take place in Kampala, ed.) Rebel movement is growing stronger militarily with the help of the Ugandan and Rwandese army".
To coordinate the upcoming offensives, denounces the coordination of civil society, members of the M23 met recently with Rwandan officers. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/09/2013)
- 2015-03-18 - New violence in North Kivu: "there is an attempt to block the operations against the FDLR" denounces civil society
- 2015-03-12 - Alarm for the recruitment of young Muslims in eastern Congo
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years
- 2015-02-12 - A UN report highlights the international links of the Congolese guerrillas
- 2015-02-05 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops ask for a clear electoral calendar
- 2014-12-22 - North Kivu: the conclusions of the meeting of the "wise men" to end the war in the Territory of Beni
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni