AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A serious incident of violence disturbs the celebration of the Week of Peace
Buenaventura (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Buenaventura (Colombia), Monsignor Héctor Epalza Quintero, P.S.S., launched an appeal to respect human life, after the discovery of the dismembered body of a man, whose identity is being investigation by the Institute of Forensic Medicine.
The note sent to Fides by a local source, reports that Monsignor Epalza regrets that the terrible act of violence occurred in the Port area, just when the Week of Peace is being celebrated, sponsored by the Catholic Church. "This incident must involve us all, it is a pain for everyone. Authorities should intervene in this matter, we must respect most sacred right of all, that of life", said the Bishop.
During the Week of Peace, which is celebrated from September 8 to 15 throughout Colombia, the Catholic Church, together with other important social organizations, have organized a big mobilization in all the dioceses of the country, with moments of prayer, reflection and feast in favor of peace.
In Buenaventura, the Week of Peace will end on September 13 with a march from New Amanecer district, the epicenter of serious violence till the Bolivar neighborhood, not far from where the dismembered body was found.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/09/2013)
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors
- 2015-04-16 - Eleven soldiers killed, the Church asks for a definitive cease-fire
- 2015-04-01 - Special care for children infected with chikungunya
- 2015-03-30 - Joy in the suffering: Sincelejo welcomes the new Bishop remembering the pastor killed
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue