AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A serious incident of violence disturbs the celebration of the Week of Peace
Buenaventura (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Buenaventura (Colombia), Monsignor Héctor Epalza Quintero, P.S.S., launched an appeal to respect human life, after the discovery of the dismembered body of a man, whose identity is being investigation by the Institute of Forensic Medicine.
The note sent to Fides by a local source, reports that Monsignor Epalza regrets that the terrible act of violence occurred in the Port area, just when the Week of Peace is being celebrated, sponsored by the Catholic Church. "This incident must involve us all, it is a pain for everyone. Authorities should intervene in this matter, we must respect most sacred right of all, that of life", said the Bishop.
During the Week of Peace, which is celebrated from September 8 to 15 throughout Colombia, the Catholic Church, together with other important social organizations, have organized a big mobilization in all the dioceses of the country, with moments of prayer, reflection and feast in favor of peace.
In Buenaventura, the Week of Peace will end on September 13 with a march from New Amanecer district, the epicenter of serious violence till the Bolivar neighborhood, not far from where the dismembered body was found.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/09/2013)
- 2014-04-12 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA –"Schools of reconciliation" are born: initiative of the Church for young people
- 2014-04-09 - Respect for human rights for the victims of landmines
- 2014-04-03 - Indigenous children continue to die of hunger and chronic malnutrition
- 2014-03-31 - First study on hidden child victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-03-31 - Peace talks: conclusion of the 22nd session
- 2014-02-27 - We Colombians cannot be indifferent to the suffering experienced by our brothers and sisters in Venezuela
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Dialogue between two parties on equal terms, not between weak and powerful
- 2014-02-24 - Colombians deported from Venezuela: Catholic Bishops in border area dioceses work to provide assistance and promote peace
- 2014-02-21 - The army must be armored against corruption
- 2014-02-20 - The children of the Aboriginal community Wayuu continue to die of hunger