AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A serious incident of violence disturbs the celebration of the Week of Peace
Buenaventura (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Buenaventura (Colombia), Monsignor Héctor Epalza Quintero, P.S.S., launched an appeal to respect human life, after the discovery of the dismembered body of a man, whose identity is being investigation by the Institute of Forensic Medicine.
The note sent to Fides by a local source, reports that Monsignor Epalza regrets that the terrible act of violence occurred in the Port area, just when the Week of Peace is being celebrated, sponsored by the Catholic Church. "This incident must involve us all, it is a pain for everyone. Authorities should intervene in this matter, we must respect most sacred right of all, that of life", said the Bishop.
During the Week of Peace, which is celebrated from September 8 to 15 throughout Colombia, the Catholic Church, together with other important social organizations, have organized a big mobilization in all the dioceses of the country, with moments of prayer, reflection and feast in favor of peace.
In Buenaventura, the Week of Peace will end on September 13 with a march from New Amanecer district, the epicenter of serious violence till the Bolivar neighborhood, not far from where the dismembered body was found.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/09/2013)
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation
- 2015-09-11 - Week of Peace: Colombians want a date for talks with the ELN
- 2015-09-07 - The Bishop of Cucuta marches in defense of the rights of Colombians
- 2015-09-03 - Meeting of the Bishops of Colombia and Venezuela on the border area crisis
- 2015-09-03 - Dengue haemorrhagic fever affects children in Huila
- 2015-08-20 - Pope Francis: a delegate of the Holy See in the peace process
- 2015-08-13 - Consolidating REDPAM Catholic Pan-Amazon church network
- 2015-08-12 - “Let the people speak about mining activity”, Bishops’ statement
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC