AFRICA/NIGERIA - Political reasons for the kidnapping of the dean of Anglican Bishops, states the Nigerian press
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - The kidnapping of Mgr. Ignatius Kattey, Anglican Archbishop of the diocese north of the Niger Delta, which took place in Port Harcourt in southern Nigeria, seems to be linked to the ongoing political crisis in the Rivers State, according to the local press.
The Nigerian media reported, inter alia, the controversy triggered by the kidnapping of the Anglican exponent between the governor of the Rivers State and federal authorities.
Archbishop Kattey, dean of Anglican bishops, was kidnapped together with his wife who was later released on the evening of September 6. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/09/2013)
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/NIGERIA - “Move army command to epicentre of Boko Haram violence” Nigerian Senate orders
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "we will hit the Nigeria oil region"
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The latest massacre of civilians unfortunately does not surprise me" says the Archbishop of Jos to Fides
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "No imposition of secular values in Africa," said the Archbishop of Jos
- 2014-02-05 AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 people killed in the last 24 hours due to violence in four Nigerian states
- 2014-01-29 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "military response alone does not solve anything", says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-01-28 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram attacks northern Nigeria, also a Catholic church was attacked
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Good knowledge of other religions at the basis for dialogue between Christians and Muslims"