AFRICA/NIGERIA - Political reasons for the kidnapping of the dean of Anglican Bishops, states the Nigerian press
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - The kidnapping of Mgr. Ignatius Kattey, Anglican Archbishop of the diocese north of the Niger Delta, which took place in Port Harcourt in southern Nigeria, seems to be linked to the ongoing political crisis in the Rivers State, according to the local press.
The Nigerian media reported, inter alia, the controversy triggered by the kidnapping of the Anglican exponent between the governor of the Rivers State and federal authorities.
Archbishop Kattey, dean of Anglican bishops, was kidnapped together with his wife who was later released on the evening of September 6. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/09/2013)
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Good knowledge of other religions at the basis for dialogue between Christians and Muslims"
- 2013-11-13 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Nigerian deputies open an investigation into the management of oil
- 2013-11-07 AFRICA/NIGERIA - A stampede left at least 28 people dead during a prayer vigil
- 2013-10-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Church urged to reduce poverty", says the Director of Caritas
- 2013-09-30 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Boko Haram is now composed of fanatics that affect Christians and Muslims," said Bishop Kaigama
- 2013-09-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am happy to be a Catholic" Holy Childhood celebrates the Year of Faith
- 2013-09-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Boko Haram has no qualms in killing innocent people", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2013-09-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops denounce "the attempts of foreign agencies to introduce unhealthy values in society"