AMERICA/HAITI - A common strategy to combat trafficking of Haitians who emigrate to Brazil
Port au Prince (Agenzia Fides) - A delegation of the National Council of immigration in Brazil (CNIB) met last week in Port au Prince, capital of Haiti, with representatives of civil society and the Haitian state to discuss the "Research project on Brazilian and Haitian emigration and bilateral dialogue".
Representatives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Haiti), the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and local civil society organizations interested in the subject attended the meeting, together with the Support Group for Refugees and returnees (GARR).
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the goal was to promote the exchange of experiences on the management of migration between representatives of the CNIB and the Haitian colleagues, to identify useful strategies for safe migration between the two countries, while ensuring respect for the rights of migrants, taking into account the interests of countries of origin and of destination.
The members of the CNIB also denounced the smuggling networks that take advantage of the situation to rob and exploit migrants, exposing them to all kinds of risks during their trip. Many arrive in Brazil sick, tired and in need of help, especially when they have traveled the smuggling routes, mainly through Peru and Bolivia (see Fides 16/04/2012) .
In June 2013 about 12,204 Haitians arrived in Brazil in a regular manner. The CNIB has reiterated that the regularization of the situation of Haitians in Brazil should not be a government program, but an emergency response to Haiti after the 2010 earthquake. Among the topics covered in the meeting: migration policies to be responsibly managed between Brazil and Haiti; improved communication so that potential emigrants can be better informed about the necessary requirements to immigrate to Brazil and the opportunities offered by the country; the identification of specific operational measures concerning the fight against human trafficking. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/09/2013)
- 2013-11-28 AMERICA/HAITI – Haitians escape, they must avoid the violence on behalf of neighbors
- 2013-11-14 AMERICA/HAITI - More than 170 murders and violence continues, we need a plan for disarmament
- 2013-11-13 AMERICA/HAITI - " The rebuilding begins to bear fruit", the U.S. Bishops’ report on the aid to the Church in Haiti
- 2013-11-09 AMERICA/HAITI - Tension in the capital: the protest against President Martelly increases
- 2013-09-10 AMERICA/HAITI - A common strategy to combat trafficking of Haitians who emigrate to Brazil
- 2013-08-05 AMERICA/HAITI - First stone of the parish of the Sacred Heart, supported by North American Catholics
- 2013-04-29 AMERICA/HAITI - Vaccination campaign against deadly childhood diseases
- 2013-04-26 AMERICA/HAITI - A missionary killed in the capital of Haiti
- 2013-01-16 AMERICA/HAITI - 3 years after the earthquake, the Redemptorist reorganize Popular Missions
- 2012-12-07 AMERICA/HAITI - Microcredit for Haitian women in difficulty, but creative and tenacious