AMERICA/PERU - Promotion of human development in the Andean communities, in particular for women and children
Piura (Agenzia Fides) - In the world there are still 774 million illiterate adults. Of these, 493 million are women without access to basic rights, to scientific and technological progress. They live in conditions of isolation and marginalization because they do not know how to read or write. Among the initiatives promoted for human development in the Andean communities, the Escuela Campesina de Educación y Salud (ESCAES) has organized, since 1989, projected activities towards the improvement of farmers’ living conditions in the region of Piura. Concretely, in the province of Ayabaca, with the support of the Catholic NGO Manos Unidas, a program of activities to promote the integral development of the rural population is being carried out, especially women and children. Currently 780 families with an income of less than € 40 per month are benefiting. The type of training proposed aims to improve the nutritional and health conditions, environmental protection with sustainable agro-ecological practices, strengthening of leadership, democracy and gender equality as well as the enhancement of culture and traditions of the territory. Among the various workshops, in addition to those for literacy, there are other targeted to female formation on civil, socio-cultural, gender rights, leadership and citizen participation for women to be able to have a leading role on issues such as water and food management. (AP) ( Agenzia Fides 10/09/2013)
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking