AMERICA/PERU - Promotion of human development in the Andean communities, in particular for women and children
Piura (Agenzia Fides) - In the world there are still 774 million illiterate adults. Of these, 493 million are women without access to basic rights, to scientific and technological progress. They live in conditions of isolation and marginalization because they do not know how to read or write. Among the initiatives promoted for human development in the Andean communities, the Escuela Campesina de Educación y Salud (ESCAES) has organized, since 1989, projected activities towards the improvement of farmers’ living conditions in the region of Piura. Concretely, in the province of Ayabaca, with the support of the Catholic NGO Manos Unidas, a program of activities to promote the integral development of the rural population is being carried out, especially women and children. Currently 780 families with an income of less than € 40 per month are benefiting. The type of training proposed aims to improve the nutritional and health conditions, environmental protection with sustainable agro-ecological practices, strengthening of leadership, democracy and gender equality as well as the enhancement of culture and traditions of the territory. Among the various workshops, in addition to those for literacy, there are other targeted to female formation on civil, socio-cultural, gender rights, leadership and citizen participation for women to be able to have a leading role on issues such as water and food management. (AP) ( Agenzia Fides 10/09/2013)
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
- 2014-04-02 - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo
- 2014-03-21 - Bishop of Chimbote obligated to special security measures