AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Syria: Bishops’ practical suggestions to young people for non-violent protests
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The U.S. Catholic bishops, who have already spoken out against any military action in Syria, recommend all young people, especially college students, to give life to non-violent protests. "Since planned demonstrations and non-violent activities have started, we give you some practical suggestions" is what is written in the Bishops’ declaration on the Social Doctrine of the Catholic Church, according to a statement sent to Fides Agenzia.
The Bishops propose some examples to remember the variety of resources available and the need to reflect on their actions, addressing not only university students, but also those in elementary, middle school and other religious schools. Young people are therefore encouraged to organize weekend retreats "to explore the promotion of peace and non-violence".
It then suggests to "explore alternatives to conflict, study strategies for conflict resolution, participate in campaigns, fasting ... sending letters to legislators on issues such as poverty reduction, the Third World debt and the law for the control of weapons".
Last week, Cardinal Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of New York, and the Bishop of Des Moines (Iowa) Mgr. Richard Paté, in a letter to the Congress, urged lawmakers to seek a political solution, not military, to the conflict in Syria (see Fides 05/09/2013). According to the American press, various polls show that the majority of citizens are opposed to military intervention in Syria and protests against such action begin to multiply now that educational institutions have resumed their activities after the summer holidays. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/09/2013)
- 2014-04-02 - Six thousand migrants have died in 15 years, the U.S. Bishops celebrated a Mass at the border
- 2014-03-12 - A Catholic Guide for parishes with faithful of different languages and ethnic groups
- 2014-03-05 - The Bishops on the crisis in Ukraine: "We raise our voice in defense of religious liberty"
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/ UNITED STATES – The Church should never forget her duty to accompany immigrants towards integration
- 2014-02-13 - American Indians: neglected and marginalized, but have great capacities
- 2014-01-29 - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
- 2014-01-15 - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
- 2014-01-14 - "They take care of our children and build our homes, but they have no rights": for a more humane approach towards immigrants
- 2014-01-13 - The Bishops: excessive military engagement in the fight against drugs in Mexico
- 2013-10-16 - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water