ASIA/PAKISTAN - Pakistani Bishops: "We are close to Pope Francis for peace in Syria"
Lahore ( Agenzia Fides ) - "We pray for peace in Syria, together with Pope Francis. As Christians, who wish and work for peace, we hope that there is no more violence in Syria and in the world. We want peace in in the world": are the heartfelt words of the Pakistani Bishops who, in a note sent to Fides, join the Pope’s appeal, after having celebrated the special "Day of prayer and fasting for peace in Syria" in all the churches of the country, on Saturday, September 7. In the joint statement of the Bishops' Conference and Caritas Pakistan, sent to Fides, the Bishops urge all Christians in Pakistan "to continue to fast and pray for the Syrian people, pointing out that the initiative also involves the faithful of other religions".
As reported to Fides, yesterday the Pakistani Bishops re-read during the Sunday celebrations the Pope's words during the Angelus where he says "No more war! Violence never brings peace: war leads to more war, violence leads to more violence".
Mgr. Joseph Coutts, Archbishop of Karachi and President of the Episcopal Conference, sent his message to all the churches, to raise awareness among the faithful, while Fr. Bonnie Mendes, a member of the Executive Council of Caritas Pakistan, warned of the "serious consequences of a military attack".
As reported to Fides by Fr . Francis Nadeem, OFM Cap, in the Church of St. Joseph in Lahore a special prayer vigil was held, with Christian and Muslim participants. At the end of the celebration everyone recited together the prayer, "God, make me an instrument of your peace", attributed to St. Francis of Assisi. "The ongoing conflict in Syria has led to one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world. As Caritas we extend our support to the people in need", said Amjad Gulzar, executive director of Caritas Pakistan. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 09/09/2013)
- 2015-01-28 - Taseer murder, justice to the test
- 2015-01-26 - New church dedicated to Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, in an area where poor families live
- 2015-01-17 - Conversions and forced marriages legitimized by the High Court
- 2015-01-16 - The Director of a Christian magazine: "With the Pope we say no to the vilification of Islam"
- 2015-01-13 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – A mentally disabled man killed on charges of blasphemy
- 2015-01-12 - A hall of Christian worship set on fire: faithful in terror
- 2015-01-08 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Attack in Paris: "Not in the name of Allah"
- 2015-01-07 - Hundreds of children are starving to death because of the drought in the south of the Country
- 2014-12-29 - Anti-terrorism Committee: no religious minority representatives
- 2014-12-23 - Share of government jobs reserved for minorities: still an illusion