AFRICA/SENEGAL - The Nuncio in Senegal denounces the "selfish interests" that prevent peace in Syria
Dakar ( Agenzia Fides) - "Our commitment to peace does not depend on simple human considerations: it comes from the gift of "Peace", said Mgr. Luis Mariano Montemayor, apostolic Nuncio in Senegal, Guinea Bissau and Cape Verde, Saturday, September 7, at the prayer vigil for peace in Syria , the Middle East and in the world, organized by the Archdiocese of Dakar, in the church of Saint Pierre de Baobabs, in communion with the universal Church that welcomed Pope Francis’ appeal.
Monsignor Montemayor also added: "As a result, following the Holy Father’s appeal, comes the moment for all of us to carry out efficacious signs of solidarity in our daily lives with the Syrian people who are suffering deeply. Personal inertia would mean a betrayal towards our Syrian brothers and sisters who are in need, and most importantly, would result in a serious sin of omission worthy of God’s anger".
The Nuncio did not hide the difficulties of the situation in Syria and the Middle East. "As a diplomat with some experience of international crises, I do not hide the fact that there are no magic solutions to this crisis. The strict logic of selfish national interests and various lobbies have been active for some time and can prevent any rational solution to this crisis".
"But nothing is impossible to God" emphasized Mgr. Montemayor who concluded his reflection by invoking the aid of the Virgin Mary, Queen of Peace. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/09/2013)
- 2015-05-19 - "Radio Mercy" launched, the web-radio of the Catholic Senegalese Church
- 2015-01-23 - AFRICA/SENEGAL – Bishops: "No to violence in God's name, but be careful not to offend religious feelings"
- 2015-01-13 - Over 10,000 children at the yearly pilgrimage organized by Missionary Childhood
- 2015-01-12 - Casamance: "Stalemate, the peace process must be relaunched" says the Bishop of Ziguinchor
- 2014-11-13 - "Dialogue between Christians and Muslims is possible, but must be nurtured constantly", said Mgr. Ndiaye
- 2014-09-29 - "Twelve years after the tragedy of the ferry Joola, ships are still overloaded and continue to travel" denounces the Church
- 2014-09-01 - Ebola: “Keep watch, do not panic” says the local Church
- 2014-06-16 - "Do not give in to vote trading" Bishops' appeal in view of the elections on 29 June
- 2014-01-16 - The 8000 Dakar missionaries committed to bringing "the joy of the Gospel" everywhere,
- 2013-09-09 - The Nuncio in Senegal denounces the "selfish interests" that prevent peace in Syria