ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Hindo writes to Obama: the world does not want war
Hassaké (Agenzia Fides) : "It is for peace that I write to you, our peace. It is against war that I write to you, your war". This is what Monsignor Behnam Hindo, Syrian Catholic Archbishop of Hassaké - Nisibis, says to Barack Obama in a letter asking the U.S. President to stop his plans for military intervention in Syria.
The diocese of Archbishop Hindo is in the north eastern Syrian province of Jazira, in a region that is enclosed in an overwhelming and total block and where a million and a half people suffer from "the torments of war, the destruction and lack of everything".
In the letter, sent to Fides, Mgr . Hindo harshly criticizes the path taken by the U.S. administration. Strong doubts are advanced by the Syrian Archbishop also on the proof of the use of chemical weapons by the Assad regime highlighted by the U.S. administration to convince the international community of the need for armed intervention. The advice given to the U.S. president is to wait for "the results of the UN Commission". In addition, there is also the plea to "save massacres, destruction and more suffering. I - says the Syrian Archbishop - write to he whose name resonates the term baraka, that is blessing (...). Blessing for your great nation, peace as the fruit of blessings for my people. These are my desires. They are now in the hands of a Nobel Prize for peace". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 09/09/2013)
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"
- 2015-03-18 - Millions of children deprived of education: schools destroyed or used as shelters for the displaced
- 2015-03-16 - The US "open" up to talks with Assad. Archbishop Hindo: forced choice
- 2015-03-14 - The Jubilee seen from Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: only mercy can save us from hatred and heal wounds
- 2015-03-11 - Uncertainty about the fate of Christians held hostage by jihadists
- 2015-03-05 - The Syrian Parliament commemorates the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-03-04 - The "rebels" say no to truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: powers from outside plan our torture