ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Hindo writes to Obama: the world does not want war
Hassaké (Agenzia Fides) : "It is for peace that I write to you, our peace. It is against war that I write to you, your war". This is what Monsignor Behnam Hindo, Syrian Catholic Archbishop of Hassaké - Nisibis, says to Barack Obama in a letter asking the U.S. President to stop his plans for military intervention in Syria.
The diocese of Archbishop Hindo is in the north eastern Syrian province of Jazira, in a region that is enclosed in an overwhelming and total block and where a million and a half people suffer from "the torments of war, the destruction and lack of everything".
In the letter, sent to Fides, Mgr . Hindo harshly criticizes the path taken by the U.S. administration. Strong doubts are advanced by the Syrian Archbishop also on the proof of the use of chemical weapons by the Assad regime highlighted by the U.S. administration to convince the international community of the need for armed intervention. The advice given to the U.S. president is to wait for "the results of the UN Commission". In addition, there is also the plea to "save massacres, destruction and more suffering. I - says the Syrian Archbishop - write to he whose name resonates the term baraka, that is blessing (...). Blessing for your great nation, peace as the fruit of blessings for my people. These are my desires. They are now in the hands of a Nobel Prize for peace". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 09/09/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - A missile on an Armenian Catholic school: a child killed, 61 injured
- 2014-04-15 - Churches devastated and icons desecrated in Maalula
- 2014-04-14 - The government army regains control of the city of Maalula
- 2014-04-08 - "Difficult times will come". After the assassination of Father Van der Lugt, Christians continue to pray and reflect on martyrdom
- 2014-04-07 - A Jesuit Killed in Homs
- 2014-03-28 - Missile on an Armenian church in Aleppo during Mass
- 2014-03-25 - The Armenian Catholic Patriarch: the Christians who fled from Kessab have to deal with the emergency with a spirit of communion
- 2014-03-17 - Bishop Audo: war devastates the hearts; and the work of Caritas opens new fronts
- 2014-03-14 - Archbishop Nassar: signs of hope in our Lent spent in war
- 2014-03-12 - ASIA/SYRIA – In Aleppo, the Order of Malta inaugurates three new mobile clinics for refugees