AMERICA/UNITED STATES – The Bishops of Washington State push for the approval of the Immigration Act
Yakima (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic bishops of Washington state will issue a pastoral letter on Sunday, September 8th urging the U.S. Congress to approve the immigration reform. His Exc. Mgr. Joseph Tyson, Bishop of the Diocese of Yakima, said in a note sent to Fides Agency, that the letter insists on 6 important points "that political leaders must consider when deciding laws concerning immigration".
The document, according to the note, emphasizes the need for an urgent change of the system that regulates immigration, in order to pull 11 million people out of the shadow, who live without documents. The letter, which will be available in all the parishes in Washington next Sunday highlights the following topics: the path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, training programs for migrant workers on fundamental issues (health, education ...), increase visas for skilled workers, border security, changes in trade policy of the United States.
" Washington is known for Starbucks and Microsoft, but very little is said of agriculture that generates wealth for the state - said Mgr. Tyson - . Most of the people working in this field are migrant workers, and I am here because we need them". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/09/2013)
AMERICA/UNITED STATES – THE BISHOPS OF WASHINGTON STATE PUSH FOR THE APPROVAL OF THE IMMIGRATION ACT
- 2014-11-21 - The Church on the measures for immigrants: "We have a long history of welcoming..."
- 2014-11-20 - 2 and a half million children live in shelters, on the streets or in cars
- 2014-11-18 - Letter of the Bishops of Texas and Ciudad Juarez: "We invite the Pope to come and visit the border area"
- 2014-11-14 - New version of the Catechism of the Catholic Church online, in English and Spanish
- 2014-11-13 - Students attending Catholic schools increase
- 2014-10-24 - Millions of children and young people feel unsafe in their families
- 2014-09-22 - Waiting for the reform, migrant families continue to be divided
- 2014-09-11 - In few days 25 thousand Iraqi Chaldeans have registered in the lists to apply for a USA visa
- 2014-07-26 - "Looking for a lawyer to represent undocumented children"
- 2014-07-24 - The Bishop of Brownsville: "In the face of a humanitarian crisis, we need a humanitarian response"