AMERICA/UNITED STATES – The Bishops of Washington State push for the approval of the Immigration Act
Yakima (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic bishops of Washington state will issue a pastoral letter on Sunday, September 8th urging the U.S. Congress to approve the immigration reform. His Exc. Mgr. Joseph Tyson, Bishop of the Diocese of Yakima, said in a note sent to Fides Agency, that the letter insists on 6 important points "that political leaders must consider when deciding laws concerning immigration".
The document, according to the note, emphasizes the need for an urgent change of the system that regulates immigration, in order to pull 11 million people out of the shadow, who live without documents. The letter, which will be available in all the parishes in Washington next Sunday highlights the following topics: the path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, training programs for migrant workers on fundamental issues (health, education ...), increase visas for skilled workers, border security, changes in trade policy of the United States.
" Washington is known for Starbucks and Microsoft, but very little is said of agriculture that generates wealth for the state - said Mgr. Tyson - . Most of the people working in this field are migrant workers, and I am here because we need them". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/09/2013)
AMERICA/UNITED STATES – THE BISHOPS OF WASHINGTON STATE PUSH FOR THE APPROVAL OF THE IMMIGRATION ACT
- 2015-07-29 - Local Catholic Church applauds order to release detained Central American families
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"
- 2015-05-08 - One hundred immigrants in one day: the flow does not stop, and mostly affects families
- 2015-05-05 - Cardinal Maradiaga visits Central American migrants detained in Dilley
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop of Baltimore: "truth will heal the wounds"
- 2015-04-10 - New appeal to the President to finally solve the problems of immigrant families
- 2015-03-30 - Little Sisters of The Poor gather for last Mass in Cleveland
- 2015-03-30 - Submitted a bill to facilitate the immigration of Middle Eastern persecuted Christians