AFRICA/EGYPT - The Egyptian Church welcomes with joy Pope Francis’ invitation to pray for peace
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - " In my parish we already started yesterday to pray according to Pope Francis’ intentions for peace in Syria, in the Middle East and the world", says Fr. Rafic Greiche, spokesman of the Catholic Bishops of Egypt, who points out that the invitation launched by the Pope to hold, on Saturday, September 7, a day of prayer and fasting for peace, was very much welcomed among the Egyptian Christians.
"On Friday and Saturday special prayer meetings for peace will be held in all the churches. The Catholic Bishops of Egypt have asked all parishes to celebrate special moments of prayer and worship, welcoming the Pope's appeal".
"We deeply thank Pope Francis for his appeal for peace and for speaking loudly and clearly in favor of the peoples of the Middle East, beginning with those of Egypt and Syria", concludes Fr. Greiche. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/09/2013)
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity
- 2015-07-22 - A law is being requested against conversions of Christian minors without parental consent
- 2015-07-21 - The Council of Christian Churches convenes a day of prayer on the anniversary of the 1952 "Revolution"
- 2015-07-15 - Patriarch Tawadros withdraws the complaint against the militants of the "38 Copts" association
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General
- 2015-06-26 - Christians organize the "banquet of unity" for Muslims on the occasion of Ramadan
- 2015-06-25 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Gospel of Barnabas" is a fake