AFRICA/EGYPT - The Egyptian Church welcomes with joy Pope Francis’ invitation to pray for peace
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - " In my parish we already started yesterday to pray according to Pope Francis’ intentions for peace in Syria, in the Middle East and the world", says Fr. Rafic Greiche, spokesman of the Catholic Bishops of Egypt, who points out that the invitation launched by the Pope to hold, on Saturday, September 7, a day of prayer and fasting for peace, was very much welcomed among the Egyptian Christians.
"On Friday and Saturday special prayer meetings for peace will be held in all the churches. The Catholic Bishops of Egypt have asked all parishes to celebrate special moments of prayer and worship, welcoming the Pope's appeal".
"We deeply thank Pope Francis for his appeal for peace and for speaking loudly and clearly in favor of the peoples of the Middle East, beginning with those of Egypt and Syria", concludes Fr. Greiche. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/09/2013)
- 2014-12-19 - Islamist threats against the Christmas celebration; Muslim leaders: we defend the churches together with Christians
- 2014-12-15 - Al Azhar: those who commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam cannot be labelled "infidel"
- 2014-12-13 - The Coptic Orthodox Church: "Employment Day" for young job seekers
- 2014-12-10 - The government is studying the draft electoral law, 24 seats reserved for Christians
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – In Minya Governatorate in 4 years some 120 million Egyptian pounds paid in ransom for kidnapped Christians
- 2014-12-04 - For Copt Catholic Bishop Antonios Mina the anti-Islamist terrorism Conference at al-Azhar was “epochal”
- 2014-12-03 - Conference on Islam and Terrorism at Al Azhar. Imam al- Tayyeb: “takfirist” extremism perverts the Islamic religion
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West