AFRICA/EGYPT - The Egyptian Church welcomes with joy Pope Francis’ invitation to pray for peace
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - " In my parish we already started yesterday to pray according to Pope Francis’ intentions for peace in Syria, in the Middle East and the world", says Fr. Rafic Greiche, spokesman of the Catholic Bishops of Egypt, who points out that the invitation launched by the Pope to hold, on Saturday, September 7, a day of prayer and fasting for peace, was very much welcomed among the Egyptian Christians.
"On Friday and Saturday special prayer meetings for peace will be held in all the churches. The Catholic Bishops of Egypt have asked all parishes to celebrate special moments of prayer and worship, welcoming the Pope's appeal".
"We deeply thank Pope Francis for his appeal for peace and for speaking loudly and clearly in favor of the peoples of the Middle East, beginning with those of Egypt and Syria", concludes Fr. Greiche. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/09/2013)
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West
- 2014-10-28 - St. Catherine's Monastery denies the news of an Islamist attack
- 2014-10-27 - Churches send the government their draft of a bill on the construction of places of worship
- 2014-10-21 - Pilgrimages in the footsteps of the Holy Family
- 2014-10-17 - Egyptian Family House grows, liaison body between Muslims and Christians
- 2014-10-09 - The children of a school take position against separated classes, based on religion
- 2014-10-03 - Intimidation against Copts who do not pay their "taxes" to a Muslim clan
- 2014-09-29 - The Coptic woman who had disappeared returns home: she did not convert but had been kidnapped