AMERICA - "The serious threat to peace in Syria cannot leave anyone indifferent": peace initiatives in Latin America
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - Fides Agency received news of many initiatives for peace in Syria from several Latin American places in response to the Pope's appeal. The Peruvian Episcopal Conference called on all parishes, movements and groups to participate in the day of Prayer and Fasting, to "join the Holy Father's request to pray for peace in the world on Saturday, September 7. Never again war! Peace is a gift that must be protected".
From Quilmes, Argentina, His Exc. Mgr. Carlos Jose Tissera invites everyone to remember Benedict XVI’s words: "The desire for peace corresponds to a fundamental moral principle, namely, the right and duty of an integral, social, community development, and this is part of God's plan for man. Man is made for peace which is a gift from God". At the same time he invites everyone to join the various initiatives for the World Day of Prayer, urging Christian religious communities to pray for peace, as a testimony to the commitment and contribution of the universal Church.
His Exc. Mgr. Luis Infanti, Bishop of Aysen, Chile, stresses that "the serious and heartbreaking threat for peace in Syria and the Middle East cannot leave anyone indifferent".
Given the dramatic situation in Syria, where thousands of people are suffering from violence, hunger, exile , insecurity, death, the Bishop of Aysen asks Catholics to pray for peace. "Besides the political, economic, religious, cultural, social reasons that have led to this tragedy, the same Pope Francis calls us and invites us to pray for the peace of these peoples. World diplomacy is proving to be slow and weak to create the conditions for peace in Syria", said Mgr. Infanti. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/09/2013)
- 2013-12-12 AMERICA – On the feast of our Lady of Guadalupe, CELAM renews its website
- 2013-11-07 AMERICA - The Meeting of Guadalupe closes the Year of Faith in the continent
- 2013-09-30 AMERICA - New portal at the service of migrants: an American initiative
- 2013-09-05 AMERICA - "The serious threat to peace in Syria cannot leave anyone indifferent": peace initiatives in Latin America
- 2013-08-09 AMERICA - Today International Day of the world’s Indigenous Peoples is celebrated
- 2013-05-23 AMERICA - "A Continental Mission in solidarity with those who suffer", CELAM follows Pope Francis
- 2013-02-27 AMERICA - It is urgent to eradicate the phenomenon of children employed in domestic work
- 2013-02-14 AMERICA - The radio as a tool for evangelization
- 2012-11-29 AMERICA - Poverty declines in Latin America, but 66 million people live in extreme poverty
- 2012-09-20 AMERICA - Baobab is operational , a network that connects all members of Caritas in the world