AMERICA - "The serious threat to peace in Syria cannot leave anyone indifferent": peace initiatives in Latin America
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - Fides Agency received news of many initiatives for peace in Syria from several Latin American places in response to the Pope's appeal. The Peruvian Episcopal Conference called on all parishes, movements and groups to participate in the day of Prayer and Fasting, to "join the Holy Father's request to pray for peace in the world on Saturday, September 7. Never again war! Peace is a gift that must be protected".
From Quilmes, Argentina, His Exc. Mgr. Carlos Jose Tissera invites everyone to remember Benedict XVI’s words: "The desire for peace corresponds to a fundamental moral principle, namely, the right and duty of an integral, social, community development, and this is part of God's plan for man. Man is made for peace which is a gift from God". At the same time he invites everyone to join the various initiatives for the World Day of Prayer, urging Christian religious communities to pray for peace, as a testimony to the commitment and contribution of the universal Church.
His Exc. Mgr. Luis Infanti, Bishop of Aysen, Chile, stresses that "the serious and heartbreaking threat for peace in Syria and the Middle East cannot leave anyone indifferent".
Given the dramatic situation in Syria, where thousands of people are suffering from violence, hunger, exile , insecurity, death, the Bishop of Aysen asks Catholics to pray for peace. "Besides the political, economic, religious, cultural, social reasons that have led to this tragedy, the same Pope Francis calls us and invites us to pray for the peace of these peoples. World diplomacy is proving to be slow and weak to create the conditions for peace in Syria", said Mgr. Infanti. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/09/2013)
- 2015-11-16 - Latin American Bishops protagonists of the "Pact of the Catacombs"
- 2015-05-16 - Message of the XXXV General Assembly of CELAM: "Living a missionary conversion as a church which goes forth"
- 2015-05-07 - 88 environmentalists killed in Latin America in 2014
- 2015-04-16 - Bishops Emeritus continue to give their contribution
- 2015-04-16 - Almost 4 million children in Latin America do not have access to primary school
- 2015-03-17 - Human rights and extractive industries in Latin America: the position of the Church
- 2015-03-06 - Pan-Amazon Ecclesial Network: For Mgr. Barreto the life of 30 million people is at stake
- 2015-01-15 - New web portal of CELAM, to reach the "suburbs" of the continent
- 2015-01-02 - Drastic increase of children who try to escape from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador
- 2014-12-11 - The new land of the "landless", a living and current history