ASIA/SYRIA - Prayer and fasting in Maaloula, a village symbol of coexistence, threatened by armed groups
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) – One already prays and fasts for peace in Maaloula, a small Christian village in the north of Damascus, where Aramaic is spoken, the language of Jesus. Maaloula is a small Christian village in the mountains, a symbol of Christianity in Syria, inhabited by peaceful people. It is currently under threat of armed groups that could attack and destroy it: for this reason the Christian community in Syria has launched a strong appeal to save Maaloula, joining Pope Francis’ hope for peace. The village itself is a sacred place where "houses and churches mingle with one another", explain local Christian faithful to Fides. The shrines of Maaloula - such as the monastery of St. Tecla, inhabited by Orthodox nuns, and the convent of St. Sergius which houses Greek - Catholic priests (Melkites) - are a place of pilgrimage for Christians and Muslims: the place has become a symbol of religious coexistence.
As reported to Fides, currently some armed groups have barricaded themselves on the rock that overlooks the village and could launch an attack at any moment . "It would be a disaster, a blow to the historical, cultural and spiritual heritage, yet another affront to Syrian civilization, pluralism and harmony", remarked the Greek Catholic MP Maria Saadeh in an interview with Fides, in close contact with the parishioners. "We launch an appeal to the contenders, the international community and the Holy See - she says – to leave Maaloula out of the conflict. It is just a place of prayer, pilgrimage and peace". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 05/09/2013)
- 2015-05-28 - Appeal of the Marists of Aleppo to the Pope: if you want Christians to remain, the war must be stopped
- 2015-05-27 - Assyrian hostages: jihadists release two women
- 2015-05-26 - The jihadists retreat from the villages on the river Khabur, leaving destroyed crosses and vandalized churches
- 2015-05-25 - Syrian Catholic Patriarch Ignace Youssif III: prayer and fasting for father Murad and deacon Hanna’s release
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus