AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Peace is life": the 26th edition of the Week for Peace
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - With the theme "Peace is life: we bargain peace, build coexistence" ("La paz es vida: pactemos paz, construyamos convivencia"), the 26th edition of the Week for Peace will be held in Colombia, from 8 to 15 September. According to information sent to Fides Agency by Adital, the initiative promoted by the Colombian civil society wishes to reaffirm that peace is possible in the country and seek a negotiated solution to the armed conflict that has lasted over 50 years. Founded in 1987 in the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana in Bogotá, the week for Peace is celebrated in the second week of September.
Social and community organizations, organizations involved in the defense of human rights and peace-building, educational institutions, artists, media, trade unions, among others, actively participate in the week as part of their reality. Even the Catholic Church is engaged in the reflection on the theme, inviting everyone to take each his own responsibility in this area, through the peace program of the Society of Jesus in Colombia, REDEPAZ, the Colombian Episcopal Conference and the Social Pastoral, with the active participation of universities and religious congregations.
The Week for Peace, today the expression of great social mobilization for peace, is essentially peaceful, and from 1978 to 2012 saw 5009 events take place, such as marches , rallies, meetings, seminars, cultural and sporting events. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 04/09/2013)
- 2015-11-24 - Peace process: no need to hasten the signing without verifying the international law
- 2015-11-21 - The Church: need to clarify the referendum to have lasting peace
- 2015-11-19 - "There are connections between the conflicts in the Middle East and environmental issues" says a Jesuit
- 2015-11-16 - Poverty on the rise in Santa Fe and Chapinero: daily wage and lack of retirement among the causes
- 2015-11-12 - Meeting of the Pan-Amazonian Network: necessity to listen to indigenous peoples to protect creation
- 2015-10-20 - Mgr. Castro Quiroga: "The opening of dialogue with ELN is positive news"
- 2015-10-19 - "Pope Francis" food bank for needy families in Villavicencio
- 2015-10-09 - Cardinal Pimiento: "Vote-buying is a crime"
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation