AFRICA/SOMALIA - Mgr. Bertin: "I hope in authentic dialogue with regards to the need for everybody to get out of the crisis in Somalia"
Mogadishu (Agenzia Fides) - "Opponents, Shabaab or others, have targeted government and foreign organization representatives and their staff. This is because they want to destabilize the Somali institutions in the reconstruction phase. The new federal government is already destabilized by internal disputes on federalism and other issues" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Giorgio Bertin, Bishop of Djibouti and Apostolic Administrator of Mogadishu, in the aftermath of the failed attack against Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamoud.
The latter escaped unhurt, on September 3, from an ambush by a commando of Shabaab along the road to Merka, a city that is one hundred kilometers south-west of Mogadishu.
"All this is part of the Somali spirit, which prevails in the pursuit of individual or clan interest" continues Mgr. Bertin. "It is a difficult situation for anyone, starting from the Somalis, including neighboring Countries that take advantage of personal, clan and regional ambitions of the Somalis to promote their interests in the Country".
The Bishop emphasizes, however, that "the situation is not desperate and we must not abandon Somalia. I add, however, that, at least at an international community level, it is necessary to be more compact. In particular, regional powers, especially Kenya and Ethiopia, I hope convince themselves that it is important to have a strong Somali State instead of the current chaotic situation".
"Authentic dialogue is needed in which everyone takes into consideration the interests of all in order to find a comprehensive solution to everyone’s needs", concluded Bishop Bertin . (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/09/2013)
- 2014-07-04 - The first container of medicines of Caritas Somalia and NGO Perigeo on the road to the Somali government
- 2014-06-06 - Children under 5 years of age malnourished and at risk of infectious diseases
- 2014-05-19 - Humanitarian agencies: interventions are urgently needed for the population
- 2014-03-10 - west of Somalia
- 2014-02-27 - 50,000 Somali children at risk for malnutrition and inadequate sanitation
- 2013-10-08 - The work of Annalena Tonelli is still alive 10 years after her murder
- 2013-09-11 - Campaign for the schooling of one million children
- 2013-09-04 - Mgr. Bertin: "I hope in authentic dialogue with regards to the need for everybody to get out of the crisis in Somalia"
- 2013-09-02 - Emergency for women and children in refugee camps
- 2013-06-12 - Instability in southern Somalia