AFRICA/LIBYA - Libya struggles to find stability two years after Gaddafi’s escape from Tripoli
Tripoli ( Agenzia Fides) - A passenger who blocked the airport for an hour because he wanted at all costs to embark with his sick mother on a direct flight to Tunis, the daughter of former intelligence chief of the old regime, Abduallah Senuss, kidnapped at the time of her release from prison where she was held, strikes and protests in the oil industry that have reduced Libyan oil exports to 160,000 barrels per day, policemen forced to buy ammunition for their weapons on the black market ... Libya struggles two years after Gaddafi’s escape from Tripoli to ensure a stable security situation permitting a revival of the economy.
The biggest problem is the use of weapons and the presence of armed militias (in Tripoli alone at the end of 2011 there were 53) that still controlled much of the Country. Added to this are the infiltration of jihadi formations thrown out of the north of Mali after the French intervention at the beginning of the year. Algeria, Tunisia and Libya are trying to coordinate their efforts to combat the terrorist threat but the weakness of the Libyan security forces, still in the process of reorganization, makes these efforts problematic. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/09/2013)
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - Rumors of a coup denied: "calm situation in Tripoli", say Fides sources
- 2013-11-26 AFRICA/LIBYA - " Despite the uncertainty of today I am confident that peace can explode" said Mgr. Martinelli
- 2013-09-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Threats to the distribution of water in Tripoli
- 2013-09-03 AFRICA/LIBYA - Libya struggles to find stability two years after Gaddafi’s escape from Tripoli
- 2013-05-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - Attack near the Catholic church in Benghazi
- 2013-04-24 AFRICA/LIBYA - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/LIBYA - Two religious communities forced to leave Cyrenaica, complaint by Mgr. Martinelli, "In coming days we expect difficult times"
- 2013-01-25 AFRICA/LIBYA - Some Western countries invite their countrymen to leave Benghazi