ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Peace in Syria: Catholics and Muslims in the Philippines welcome the Pope’s invitation
Manila ( Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church in the Philippines and the Muslim communities of the South will join Pope Francis for the day of prayer and fasting for peace in Syria, on 7 September: is what Fides Agency learns by local sources in Christian communities.
A note of the Episcopal Conference, sent to Fides, hopes for "the end of the bloodshed and violence in the troubled nation" and invites the Bishops and all the local communities "to respond to Pope Francis’ appeal". Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle has invited all the pastors and rectors of shrines of the Archdiocese in Manila to celebrate Mass in the morning of Saturday, September 7 with the special intention for the people of Syria, encouraging the faithful to an hour of Eucharistic Adoration after Mass. In all the dioceses, prayer meetings and fasting for peace are being organized.
Pope Francis’ heartfelt appeal has found way in the hearts of Muslim communities living in the South of the Philippines. Fr. Sebastiano D'Ambra, PIME missionary and founder of the movement for Islamic-Christian dialogue "Silsilah" in the city of Zamboanga, Mindanao, refers to Fides that "in coming days the text of the Angelus (1 September) by Pope Francis will be read and meditated in interfaith meetings". Fr. D'Ambra will promote and spread the Pope's words in the local media, also inviting the Islamic community to join the Day of prayer and fasting for peace in Syria. In a meeting between Christians and Muslims, organized by the movement "Silsilah" for Saturday, September 7, we will fast and pray together with the intention to ask God for peace in Syria, in communion with the Holy Father. (PA ) (Agenzia Fides 03/09/2013 )
- 2014-07-30 - The entire Catholic population celebrates the 100 millionth baby born in the Country
- 2014-07-21 - The missionaries for the development of indigenous peoples in Mindanao
- 2014-07-07 - For the poor and against injustice: the testimony of Father Romano, who was kidnapped 29 years ago, is always present
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops: No to the restoration of the death penalty
- 2014-06-05 - "Peace is living together": international conference for reconciliation in Mindanao
- 2014-04-28 - Protecting the rights and education of poor rural people
- 2014-04-08 - The Bishops: "We respect the Supreme Court, we defend life with the right to conscientious objection"
- 2014-04-08 - The Supreme Court: Reproductive Health law is valid, but yes to conscientious objection
- 2014-03-28 - The missionaries: "May the agreement with the rebels of the South bring peace, justice and development"
- 2014-03-25 - Over 7.7 million dollars for aid to victims of the typhoon: The Church guarantees transparency