ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Peace in Syria: Catholics and Muslims in the Philippines welcome the Pope’s invitation
Manila ( Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church in the Philippines and the Muslim communities of the South will join Pope Francis for the day of prayer and fasting for peace in Syria, on 7 September: is what Fides Agency learns by local sources in Christian communities.
A note of the Episcopal Conference, sent to Fides, hopes for "the end of the bloodshed and violence in the troubled nation" and invites the Bishops and all the local communities "to respond to Pope Francis’ appeal". Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle has invited all the pastors and rectors of shrines of the Archdiocese in Manila to celebrate Mass in the morning of Saturday, September 7 with the special intention for the people of Syria, encouraging the faithful to an hour of Eucharistic Adoration after Mass. In all the dioceses, prayer meetings and fasting for peace are being organized.
Pope Francis’ heartfelt appeal has found way in the hearts of Muslim communities living in the South of the Philippines. Fr. Sebastiano D'Ambra, PIME missionary and founder of the movement for Islamic-Christian dialogue "Silsilah" in the city of Zamboanga, Mindanao, refers to Fides that "in coming days the text of the Angelus (1 September) by Pope Francis will be read and meditated in interfaith meetings". Fr. D'Ambra will promote and spread the Pope's words in the local media, also inviting the Islamic community to join the Day of prayer and fasting for peace in Syria. In a meeting between Christians and Muslims, organized by the movement "Silsilah" for Saturday, September 7, we will fast and pray together with the intention to ask God for peace in Syria, in communion with the Holy Father. (PA ) (Agenzia Fides 03/09/2013 )
- 2014-12-10 - "Yolanda" survivors now helping "Hagupit" victims
- 2014-12-01 - Compassion but also "no" to corruption: the Church celebrates the Year of the poor
- 2014-11-29 - The Silsilah movement: Advent of solidarity and friendship with Muslims
- 2014-11-27 - Justice for the massacre in Maguindanao: the relatives of the victims write to the Pope
- 2014-11-21 - 30 years since its foundation, the commitment of "Silsilah" movement for dialogue reinforces
- 2014-11-15 - Cardinal Tagle: "The Pope's visit, a blessing that invokes responsibility"
- 2014-11-11 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – To cancel foreign debt in order to contribute to the reconstruction after Typhoon Haiyan
- 2014-10-30 - The Silsilah dialogue movement: "Fight soldiers with prayer"
- 2014-10-28 - The Bishops: "Even a life sentence is inhuman"
- 2014-10-17 - The murder of the missionary Fr. Fausto Tentorio remains unsolved