ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Peace in Syria: Catholics and Muslims in the Philippines welcome the Pope’s invitation
Manila ( Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church in the Philippines and the Muslim communities of the South will join Pope Francis for the day of prayer and fasting for peace in Syria, on 7 September: is what Fides Agency learns by local sources in Christian communities.
A note of the Episcopal Conference, sent to Fides, hopes for "the end of the bloodshed and violence in the troubled nation" and invites the Bishops and all the local communities "to respond to Pope Francis’ appeal". Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle has invited all the pastors and rectors of shrines of the Archdiocese in Manila to celebrate Mass in the morning of Saturday, September 7 with the special intention for the people of Syria, encouraging the faithful to an hour of Eucharistic Adoration after Mass. In all the dioceses, prayer meetings and fasting for peace are being organized.
Pope Francis’ heartfelt appeal has found way in the hearts of Muslim communities living in the South of the Philippines. Fr. Sebastiano D'Ambra, PIME missionary and founder of the movement for Islamic-Christian dialogue "Silsilah" in the city of Zamboanga, Mindanao, refers to Fides that "in coming days the text of the Angelus (1 September) by Pope Francis will be read and meditated in interfaith meetings". Fr. D'Ambra will promote and spread the Pope's words in the local media, also inviting the Islamic community to join the Day of prayer and fasting for peace in Syria. In a meeting between Christians and Muslims, organized by the movement "Silsilah" for Saturday, September 7, we will fast and pray together with the intention to ask God for peace in Syria, in communion with the Holy Father. (PA ) (Agenzia Fides 03/09/2013 )
- 2015-07-21 - Bishops' Message: "Climate change, a matter of social justice"
- 2015-06-25 - "Laudati Sì" a source of inspiration for dialogue and for the care of creation
- 2015-06-22 - Cardinal Quevedo: "The disarmament of Islamic guerrillas is an important step for peace"
- 2015-06-02 - Message from the "Silsilah" movement: a Ramadan of peace in Mindanao
- 2015-05-26 - Bishops: "Laity and parishes have to act in order to combat modern slavery"
- 2015-05-19 - "Ready to welcome the Rohingya migrants": State and Church agree
- 2015-05-18 - Building peace remembering martyr Claretian Rhoel Gallardo
- 2015-05-13 - Education and aid to the poor at the Luigi Caburlotto school
- 2015-05-13 - The construction of a new shelter for the poor has begun
- 2015-05-08 - The Village of Harmony has been giving an example of "life-in-dialogue" in southern Philippines for 25 years