ASIA/HOLY LAND - The Discalced Carmelites: prayer for peace, with Syria in our hearts
Haifa (Agenzia Fides) - The Discalced Carmelite Sisters of the Holy Land, cloistered nuns, welcome "with intense participation" Pope Francis’ appeal in a special prayer for peace in Syria. When contacted by Fides Agency, Sister Angela, Superior of the Convent of Discalced Carmelites in Haifa, explains: "We heard the Pope’s appeal, which impressed and deeply moved us, especially when he says, 'from the bottom of my being'. We welcome the strong words of Pope Francis with attention and active participation. Syria is in our hearts and we will continue to pray incessantly for peace. We will fully be united to the Pope. We will pray, according to the recommendations of our Bishops of the Holy Land, simultaneously with the prayer vigil on Saturday, September 7 in St. Peter's Square.
We pray and hope that the Lord will enlighten the minds of decision-makers, of those who have in their hands the destiny of nations. It is still possible to stop the war and build peace in Syria".
"We nuns, as praying souls of the Church - says Sister Angela – carry the world, all the current events in our heart. Our mission is to pray so that everything is oriented towards God. As St. Teresina said: In the heart of the Church, my Mother, I will be love. War is not according to God. Often we here in Israel are under tension of an imminent war. We fast, pray and hope for peace in the Middle East". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 02/09/2013)
- 2014-08-30 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – Catholic schools cancel strike, but Israeli government talks of ‘take over’
- 2014-08-06 - In Gaza a child dies every hour. There is no electricity, water and essential medical services
- 2014-08-06 - Appeal of the Patriarch of Jerusalem to Aid to the Church in Need for the victims of Gaza
- 2014-08-01 - The Patriarch of Jerusalem, Twal: the truce is not needed if Gaza remains a desperate prison
- 2014-08-01 - Prayers and fasting for peace in Gaza and throughout the Middle East
- 2014-08-01 - The Forgiveness of Assisi dedicated to peace in the Middle East
- 2014-07-29 - Bombing near the Catholic parish in Gaza. School devastated
- 2014-07-24 - Caritas Jerusalem rescues thousands of Muslims, who have taken shelter in schools and churches in Gaza
- 2014-07-22 - Patriarch Emeritus Sabbah: there is no war in Gaza, but a useless massacre
- 2014-07-18 - The Israeli army enters Gaza. Pope's message to the local Catholic community