VATICAN - "The cry for peace should rise up": the Pope proclaims a day of fasting and prayer for peace in Syria, the Middle East and throughout the world
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - "We want a peaceful world, we want to be men and women of peace, and we want in our society, torn apart by divisions and conflicts, that peace break out! War never again! Never again war". These are Pope Francis’ heartfelt words pronounced on Sunday, September 1, before the Angelus prayer with the faithful gathered in St. Peter's Square. The Holy Father, who dedicated his whole speech on this issue, "is deeply wounded by what is happening in Syria and anguished by the dramatic developments which are looming" and renewed his strong appeal to each party in conflict, asking them "to listen to the voice of their own conscience, not to close themselves in solely on their own interests, but rather to look at each other as brothers and decisively and courageously to follow the path of encounter and negotiation", and therefore has decided to proclaim for the whole Church on 7 September next, the vigil of the birth of Mary, Queen of Peace, a day of fasting and prayer for peace in Syria, the Middle East, and throughout the world, inviting each person, including "our fellow Christians, followers of other religions and all men of good will, to participate, in whatever way they can, in this initiative".
In Saint Peter’s Square, from 19:00 until 24:00, "we will gather in prayer and in a spirit of penance, invoking God’s great gift of peace upon the beloved nation of Syria and upon each situation of conflict and violence around the world", stressed the Holy Father, inviting everyone to participate. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 02/09/2013)
- 2015-03-27 - Cardinal Filoni returns to Iraq to express the closeness and affection of the Pope to displaced families
- 2015-03-16 - VATICAN – Pope Francis: "Our brothers' and sisters' blood is shed only because they are Christians"
- 2015-02-10 - VATICAN – World Day of the Sick: the Church runs 115 352 health care and social assistance institutes in the world
- 2015-02-04 - On February 8: "Shine a light against human trafficking"
- 2015-01-26 - Cardinal Filoni celebrates the 50th anniversary of the diocese of Xuan Loc, "may families and parishes become God’s families"
- 2015-01-23 - Cardinal Filoni at the Shrine of La Vang entrusts the work of evangelization to the Virgin
- 2015-01-22 - Solidarity of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples to the Church of Niger
- 2015-01-20 - Church of Vietnam: "path of conversion and to a strong commitment to evangelization"
- 2015-01-20 - Cardinal. Filoni in Vietnam: "a living Church," distinguished from "the steadfast Faith of the Vietnamese faithful"
- 2015-01-19 - Cardinal Filoni, Prefect of the Congregation, on a pastoral visit in Vietnam