VATICAN - "The cry for peace should rise up": the Pope proclaims a day of fasting and prayer for peace in Syria, the Middle East and throughout the world
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - "We want a peaceful world, we want to be men and women of peace, and we want in our society, torn apart by divisions and conflicts, that peace break out! War never again! Never again war". These are Pope Francis’ heartfelt words pronounced on Sunday, September 1, before the Angelus prayer with the faithful gathered in St. Peter's Square. The Holy Father, who dedicated his whole speech on this issue, "is deeply wounded by what is happening in Syria and anguished by the dramatic developments which are looming" and renewed his strong appeal to each party in conflict, asking them "to listen to the voice of their own conscience, not to close themselves in solely on their own interests, but rather to look at each other as brothers and decisively and courageously to follow the path of encounter and negotiation", and therefore has decided to proclaim for the whole Church on 7 September next, the vigil of the birth of Mary, Queen of Peace, a day of fasting and prayer for peace in Syria, the Middle East, and throughout the world, inviting each person, including "our fellow Christians, followers of other religions and all men of good will, to participate, in whatever way they can, in this initiative".
In Saint Peter’s Square, from 19:00 until 24:00, "we will gather in prayer and in a spirit of penance, invoking God’s great gift of peace upon the beloved nation of Syria and upon each situation of conflict and violence around the world", stressed the Holy Father, inviting everyone to participate. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 02/09/2013)
- 2015-10-02 - Cardinal Filoni opens the formative year: "called to live the joy of the Gospel"
- 2015-10-01 - With the feast of St. Therese of Lisieux, October, month of the missions begins
- 2015-09-15 - Cardinal Filoni on his visit: the enthusiasm of the Church in Bangladesh, the vivacity of the Church in India
- 2015-09-14 - The first blessed in South Africa: Benedict Daswa, family man, killed for the Gospel
- 2015-09-14 - Cardinal Filoni concludes his visit to Bangladesh where he meets families and seminarians
- 2015-09-12 - Cardinal Filoni meets Bishops, priests, religious and laity of Bangladesh: "We are all in a permanent state of mission"
- 2015-09-12 - Cardinal Filoni to the Bishops of Bangladesh: "try to sow unity in the dioceses"
- 2015-09-11 - Cardinal Filoni in Bangladesh for the XXV Anniversary of the diocese of Rajshahi: "there is much work to do"
- 2015-09-07 - Pastoral visit of Cardinal Filoni in Bangladesh, India and Nepal
- 2015-06-30 - VATICAN – Ceremonial gift of the pallium to 46 Metropolitan Archbishops, 13 belong to the territories of Propaganda Fide